Spacious, traditional log cabins for 2-8 persons
These beautifully-handcrafted cabins are surrounded by woodland and give you a real sense of remoteness with no neighbours nearby, yet are easily accessible just a couple of hours away from Helsinki.
The land was originally used for grazing cattle, which has given the area a unique character and meant that berries have been able to flourish, so the area is excellent for foraging.
Cycling or e-biking is just some of the ways to explore. Photo: TET.
Comfortable accommodation with sauna
Built by your local host, both Cabin Vesa and Cabin Taina are fully-equipped with everything you may need for your stay. What better way to relax after a fun day outdoors than with a sauna or getting cosy in front of the wood burning stove!
Cabin Taina is located on a small hill just 50m from the lake, while Cabin Vesa has its own small pond and jetty and is approx. 800m from the lake.
Each cabin has its own wood-fired sauna - after relaxing there, the water is close by to run down for a cooling dip!
The cabins are located in a beautiful landscape of lakes and forest. Photo: TET.
Boat included and a range of outdoor activities on the doorstep
There are many options to enjoy the beautiful natural surroundings of the cabins.
Hiking trails of between 6 and 11km starting from your door give you a chance to explore the local area on foot - or wheels if you prefer, as bikes, mountain bikes and e-bikes are also available to hire as an optional extra.
Go for a swim in the lake or take the rowing boat included in your stay and try your hand at fishing.
The Log Cabin Getaway in Päijänne Tavastia is ideal for groups of friends, families or couples looking for a comfortable base to explore the local area with a wealth of opportunities for discovering nature's playground.
Check-in is from 16.00 on arrival day.
Please check-out latest 11.00 on departure day.
Dates & Prices»
The cabins are available for booking year round. Season for summer activities May to September, winter activities normally mid-December to March.
Rental periods are normally 8 days Saturday-Saturday. Shorter stays are also possible during some periods by arrangement - please see under "Prices" for details.
Check-in is from 16.00 on arrival day, please check-out latest 11.00 on departure day.
Please note the following regarding price and duration of stay:
- For stays spanning two price periods, the higher period price applies.
- Prices given below are for weekly stays 8 days/7 nights, normally Saturday-Saturday, though other start days may be possible by arrangement.
- During Low periods, shorter stays (min. 2 nights) are also possible. Please contact us for prices and information.
Price periods are for stays in spring/summer/autumn between dates as follows:
- Low: 01.05-01.06.24 and 07.09-30.11.24
- Mid: 01.06-15.06.24 and 29.06-07.09.24
- High: 15.06-29.06.24
NB: Please note that bedding and towels must be added for all prices below.
|Standard Prices (Cabin Taina or Cabin Vesa/cabin/week)|
|Bedding and towels||GBP|
|Optional Extras (see description below)|
|Transfer if arriving by public transport||Pay locally - see below|
|Canoe/day (2-3 persons)||GBP|
|Canoe/week (2-3 persons)||GBP|
|Fishing rod - week||GBP|
|Spinning rod - week||GBP|
|Mountain bike or fat bike/day||GBP|
|Mountain bike or fat bike/week||GBP|
|Guided hike and berry picking/person||GBP|
|Professional photographer||Arrange locally|
- Transfers: For guests travelling by public transport, taxi transfers are required (payable locally), either from Sysmä, price around €/group (max. 4 persons) or transfer is also possible from Hartola at a cost of around €/group (max. 4 persons).
- Outboard motor: For use with the rowing boat provided.
- Bicyle, mountain bike or fat bike: Hire includes helmet.
- Guided hike and berry picking: 2 hours, 2-5 persons. A guided hike takes you to all the best places in the local area for picking berries (typical season mid-August to end September).
- Lakeside sauna: Sauna will be heated for you. Please note that the lakeside sauna is not available in wintertime.
- Hot tub: Located near to the lakeside sauna or transported to the backyard of either Taina or Vesa cabin. Can be chosen in combination with the sauna or as stand-alone activity.
- Professional photographer: It is possible to arrange for a professional photo session with a local photographer during your stay to create high-quality images to commemorate your trip and focusing on a theme of your choosing. This is arranged and booked locally.
What's Included »
Cabin Vesa and Cabin Taina:
- Sleeps up to 6 persons comfortably with 3 x 2-person bedrooms (Cabin Vesa has 3 x 2-person rooms which can be twin or double, Cabin Taina has 1 room with double bed + 2 x twin/double rooms). Able to accommodate up to 8 persons with an additional sofa bed (most suitable for children) in the hallway and a crib is also available.
- Fully-equipped kitchen for self-catering, including basic cookware, tableware, coffee machine, electric kettle, microwave, electric oven, combined fridge/freezer and dishwasher.
- Wood-burning stove and electric radiators.
- Firewood included.
- Washing room, dressing room and two WCs.
- Wood heated sauna.
- Free WiFi.
- Washing machine.
- Total area of 120 square metres.
- End cleaning of the cabin is included on departure.
- Overlooking pine forest and own natural pond with jetty.
- Pets welcome.
- Around 800 metres from the lake.
- Dogs allowed.
- Lakeside barbecue hut.
- Located on small pinewood hill and about 50 metres from the lake.
- Dogs not allowed.
- Rowing boat (one per cabin) and one permit for trawling.
- Hiking trails from 6 to 11 km, fishing and foraging for berries and mushrooms are available from your doorstep.
- Travel: We do not arrange flights or domestic travel, but are happy to advise on suitable connections and assist you with any aspect of planning your journey. See under "Getting There" for general travel information.
- Food: The cabins are fully-equipped for self-catering. The nearest shop is 7km away, 10 mins by car. NB: Please note if you choose not to have a car during your stay that you may wish to purchase all provisions for your stay before leaving Sysmä. There are no facilities where the cabins are located. It is 7km from the cabins to the nearest stores, so if you wish to replenish supplies during your stay, it is possible to walk to the stores. Alternatively, you may wish to walk in one directly and return by taxi with your shopping.
- Fishing equipment (available to hire on site).
Good To Know »
Suitable for adults and children of all ages. You should be in general good health and enjoy the outdoors.
What makes this "Easy"?
As a self-catering cabin experience, there is great flexibility to make your stay as relaxing or active as you wish, but any activities are optional. Level of challenge of activities will vary.
NB: Perception of difficulty is very subjective. What is hard to one person may be easy for another and vice versa, depending on factors including level of fitness, age and previous experience. Weather conditions/temperatures can also dramatically affect the actual level of challenge encountered.
For information on any equipment and/or clothing included as standard for this experience, please see under "What's Included".
A detailed recommended packing list for personal items to bring will be sent with your booking documentation.
NB: We advise you not to buy equipment or clothes for your trip or to incur other non-refundable expenses such as flights until you have received confirmation of your booking from us in writing. Note of course that the most appropriate clothing to use as well as the level of challenge experienced during any outdoor activity may vary significantly depending on factors such as the time of year and the particular weather/temperature conditions during your trip.
Preparing for your trip:
For further reading, we also have a number of general information articles to get you ready for your trip, covering a wide variety of topics from what to do on a city break before/after your tour, advice on packing, eyewear for winter and considerations for female travellers.
Combine This With
This experience makes a good combination with the following:
- Canoe or Kayak in Linnansaari National Park (6 or more days, 3.5 hours by car)
- Discover Packrafting in Helvetinjärvi National Park (4 days, 2.5 hours by car)
The cottage can accommodate up to 8 persons in 3 x 2-person rooms and additional bed in hallway.
Located on an organic farm. Your local hosts use organic products on their fields and production is checked every year to meet the standards for organic farming. The cabins are built using wood taken from the surrounding forest and logs hand-crafted using an axe.
This provider has a written environmental policy.
Getting There »
See below for a summary of travel options. To learn more about how to travel to this experience, please get in touch!
Detailed information on travel will be provided in response to your enquiry. We are happy to advise on suitable connections and assist you with any aspect of planning your journey.
NB: Please ensure that you make a booking with us first and wait for confirmation that your spaces are reserved before making any travel arrangements.
Fly to Helsinki for train (1 hour) or bus (1 hour 15 mins) from Helsinki airport to Lahti + bus to Sysmä (1 hour 15 mins), from where transfer is available as an optional extra.
Train from UK to Stockholm (Sweden) for ferry to Helsinki and onward travel to Sysmä.