- Choice of two beautiful log cabins
- Cross-country ski trails from the door
- Snowshoeing, ice fishing and ice skating available
- Wood-heated sauna
- Suitable for 2-8 persons
- Just two hours from Helsinki
Two beautiful Finnish log cabins ideal for couples, families or a group of friends
Just two hours from Helsinki lies a choice of two handcrafted, traditionally-styled cabins, Taina and Vesa. Both offer a comfortable and welcoming log cabin base for a host of winter activities in the surrounding area.
Cabin Taina and Cabin Vesa are located approx. 800m apart and each sleep up to 8 persons in 3 x 2-person rooms with additional beds available for another 2 persons, making the cabins suitable for couples, families, or groups of friends/two families travelling together.
Both cabins have wood-heated saunas, an essential part of Finnish culture and a wonderful way to round off the day, and offer privacy and tranquility in a beautiful forest setting.
Cross country skiing is possible right from the door. Photo: UT.
Explore cross country ski trails with lessons available, go snowshoeing or skate on a frozen lake
In wintertime (normally mid-December to March), a cross country ski track starts right from the door and runs through the pine forest. Ski equipment is available to hire and introductory lesson can also be arranged.
The cabins are an ideal base for winter adventures for adults or families. Photo: TET.
Snowshoes, kicksled, ice fishing equipment and ice skates can also be hired as alternative ways to enjoy the winter landscape.
Ice skating on natural ice on the nearby frozen lake is a great introduction to this wonderful winter pasttime. Skating tracks are prepared in wintertime, allowing you to discover the freedom and adventure of outdoor skating in an accessible way.
Downhill skiing nearby
For guests travelling by car, there is a small downhill slope at Hiihtokeskus Purnu approx. 40km from the cabins, which is typically open from Christmas to late March/early April.
A season lift card valid for one person is available free of charge for shared use by guests at these and one other cabin nearby. This must be requested in advance and can be reserved for up to max. 2 days Monday-Friday or 1 day during the weekend.
Check-in is from 16.00 on arrival day.
Please check-out latest 11.00 on departure day.
The cabins are available for booking year round. Season for winter activities normally mid-December to March, summer activities season May to September.
Rental periods are normally 8 days Saturday-Saturday. Shorter stays are also possible during some periods by arrangement - please see under "Prices" for details.
Check-in is from 16.00 on arrival day, please check-out latest 11.00 on departure day.
The cabins are available for booking year round. Season for winter activities typically mid-December to March, summer activities season May to September.
Please note the following regarding price and duration of stay:
- For stays spanning two price periods, the higher period price applies.
- Prices given below are for weekly stays 8 days/7 nights, normally Saturday-Saturday.
- During some low season periods, shorter stays (min. 2 nights) may be possible. Please contact us for prices and information.
Price periods are as follows:
- Level 1: 09.01-20.02.21, 06.03-27.03.21, 10.04-12.06.21
- Level 2: 11.01-13.06.20, 22.08-19.12.20, 27.03-10.04.21, 28.08-18.12.21
- Level 3: 27.06-22.08.20, 20.02-06.03.21, 27.06-28.08.21
- Level 4: 13.06-27.06.20, 19.12.20-09.01.21, 12.06-27.06.21, 18.12.21-08.01.22
NB: Please note that bedding and towels must be added for all prices below.
|Standard Prices (Cabin Taina or Cabin Vesa/cabin/week)|
|Bedding and towels||GBP||EUR|
|Optional Extras (see description below)|
|Transfer if arriving by public transport||Pay locally - see below|
|Cross country ski equipment/person/day||GBP||EUR|
|Cross country ski equipment/person/week||GBP||EUR|
|Cross country ski lesson (90 mins, first person if 1-3 persons)||GBP||EUR|
|Cross country ski lesson (90 mins, 2nd or 3rd person)||GBP||EUR|
|Cross country ski lesson (90 mins, per person if 4-6 persons)||GBP||EUR|
|Ice fishing equipment/set/day||GBP||EUR|
|Ice fishing equipment/set/week||GBP||EUR|
|Professional photographer||Arrange locally|
|Guided winter hiking/snowshoeing||Arrange locally|
|Downhill ski pass for one person (must be reserved)||Free of charge|
- Transfers: For guests travelling by public transport, taxi transfers are required (payable locally), either from Sysmä, price around €/group (max. 4 persons) or transfer is also possible from Hartola at a cost of around €/group (max. 4 persons).
- Cross country ski equipment: Skis, boots and poles - classic or skating skis available. Please provide height, weight and shoe size when booking.
- Professional photographer/Guided winter hiking: It is possible to arrange for a professional photo session with a local photographer during your stay to create high-quality images to commemorate your trip and focusing on a theme of your choosing. There is also a local nature guided offering winter walking/snowshoeing tours. These are arranged and booked locally - information will be given on arrival.
- Downhill ski pass: For guests travelling by car, there is a small local slope 40km from the cabins at Hiihtokeskus Purnu, typically open from Christmas to late March/early April. A season card for one person is available to borrow free of charge and is for shared use by guests at total 3 cabins in the area. If you wish to use the pass, please reserve dates in advance. The pass can be reserved for max. 2 days during Monday-Friday and 1 day at the weekend.
What's Included »
Cabin Vesa and Cabin Taina:
- Sleeps up to 6 persons comfortably with 3 x 2-person bedrooms (Cabin Vesa has 3 x 2-person rooms which can be twin or double, Cabin Taina has 1 room with double bed + 2 x twin/double rooms). Able to accommodate up to 8 persons with an additional sofa bed (most suitable for children) in the hallway and a crib is also available.
- Fully-equipped kitchen for self-catering, including basic cookware, tableware, coffee machine, electric kettle, microwave, electric oven, combined fridge/freezer and dishwasher.
- Wood-burning stove and electric radiators.
- Firewood included.
- Washing room, dressing room and 2 WCs.
- Wood heated sauna.
- Free WiFi.
- Washing machine.
- Total area of 120 square metres.
- End cleaning of the cabin is included on departure.
- Siuated on slope overlooking pine forest and own natural frozen pond with jetty.
- Pets welcome.
- Around 800 metres from the frozen lake.
- Located on small pinewood hill and about 50 metres from the frozen lake.
- Cross country skiing trails from 6 to 11 km are available from your doorstep.
- Travel: We do not arrange flights or domestic travel, but are happy to advise on suitable connections and assist you with any aspect of planning your journey. See under "Getting There" for general travel information.
- Food: The cabins are fully-equipped for self-catering. The nearest shop is 7km away, 10 mins by car. NB: Please note if you choose not to have a car during your stay that you must have ALL provisions with you before leaving Sysmä. There are no facilities where the cabins are located. See "Optional extras" below for information on transfers if travelling by public transport.
Good To Know »
Suitable for adults and children of all ages. You should be in general good health and enjoy the outdoors.
What makes this "Easy"?
As a self-catering cabin experience, there is great flexibility to make your stay as relaxing or active as you wish, but any activities are optional. Level of challenge of activities will vary.
NB: Perception of difficulty is very subjective. What is hard to one person may be easy for another and vice versa, depending on factors including level of fitness, age and previous experience. Weather conditions/temperatures can also dramatically affect the actual level of challenge encountered.
For information on any equipment and/or clothing included as standard for this experience, please see under "What's Included".
A detailed recommended packing list for personal items to bring will be sent with your booking documentation.
NB: We advise you not to buy equipment or clothes for your trip or to incur other non-refundable expenses such as flights until you have received confirmation of your booking from us in writing. Note of course that the most appropriate clothing to use as well as the level of challenge experienced during any outdoor activity may vary significantly depending on factors such as the time of year and the particular weather/temperature conditions during your trip.
Preparing for your trip:
For further reading, we also have a number of general information articles to get you ready for your trip, covering a wide variety of topics from what to do on a city break before/after your tour, advice on packing, eyewear for winter and considerations for female travellers.
The cottage can accommodate up to 8 persons in 3 x 2-person rooms and additional bed in hallway.
Located on an organic farm and your local hosts use organic products on their fields and production is checked every year to meet the standards for organic farming. The cabins are built using wood taken from the surrounding forest and logs hand-crafted using an axe.
This provider has a written environmental policy.
Getting There »
Detailed information on travel options to this experience will be provided in response to your enquiry. We are happy to advise on suitable connections and assist you with any aspect of planning your journey.
Please ensure that you make a booking with us first and wait for confirmation that your spaces are reserved before making any travel arrangements.
Fly to Helsinki then onward to Sysmä by train (approx. 1 hour) + bus (approx. 1-1.5 hours) or bus (approx. 3 hours.)
Train from UK to Stockholm (Sweden) for ferry to Helsinki and onward train to Sysmä.