- Choice of two beautiful log cabins
- Cross-country skiing from the doorstep
- Snowshoeing, ice-fishing and skating available
- Wood-heated sauna
- Suitable for 2-8 persons
- Just two hours from Helsinki
Just two hours from Helsinki lies a choice of two handcrafted, traditionally-styled cabins, Taina and Vesa. Both offer a comfortable and welcoming log cabin base for a host of winter activities in the surrounding area.
Cross country skiing is possible right from the door. Photo: UT.
Cabin Taina and Cabin Vesa are located approx. 800m apart and each sleep up to 8 persons in 3 x 2-person rooms with additional beds available for another 2 persons, making the cabins suitable for couples, families, or groups of friends/two families travelling together.
Both cabins have wood-heated saunas, an essential part of Finnish culture and a wonderful way to round off the day, and offer privacy and tranquility in a beautiful forest setting. In wintertime (normally mid-December to March), a cross country ski track starts right from the door and runs through the pine forest. Ski equipment is available to hire and introductory lesson can also be arranged.
The cabins are an ideal base for winter adventures for adults or families. Photo: TET.
Snowshoes, kicksled, ice fishing equipment and ice skates can also be hired as alternative ways to enjoy the winter landscape. Ice skating on natural ice on the nearby frozen lake is a great introduction to this wonderful winter pasttime. Skating tracks are prepared in wintertime, allowing you to discover the freedom and adventure of outdoor skating in an accessible way.
Check-in is from 16.00 on arrival day.
Please check-out latest 11.00 on departure day.
The cabins are available for booking year round.
Season for winter activities typically mid-December to March, summer activities season May to September.
Rental periods are 8 days Saturday-Saturday for the following periods: 22.12.2018-12.01.2019, 15.06-17.08.2019 and 28.12.2019-11.01.2020.
Other durations are possible outside of these dates (min. stay 3 nights), please contact us for prices.
Check-in is from 16.00 on arrival day, please check-out latest 11.00 on departure day.
The cabins are available for booking year round. Season for winter activities typically mid-December to March, summer activities season May to September.
For stays spanning two price periods, the higher period price applies.
NB: Please note that bedding and towels must be added for all prices below.
|Standard Prices (Cabin Taina or Cabin Vesa/cabin/week)|
|02.04-16.06.2018||GBP 1,212||EUR 1,260|
|16.06-08.09.2018||GBP 1,472||EUR 1,530|
|08.09-22.12.2018||GBP 1,265||EUR 1,315|
|22.12.2018-12.01.2019||GBP 1,577||EUR 1,640|
|12.01-01.06.2019||GBP 1,212||EUR 1,260|
|01.06-15.06.2019||GBP 1,265||EUR 1,315|
|15.06-29.06.2019||GBP 1,577||EUR 1,640|
|29.06-17.08.2019||GBP 1,472||EUR 1,530|
|17.08-28.12.2019||GBP 1,265||EUR 1,315|
|28.12.2019-11.01.2020||GBP 1,577||EUR 1,640|
|11.01-30.05.2020||GBP 1,265||EUR 1,315|
|Bedding and towels||GBP 20||EUR 20|
|Optional Extras (see description below)|
|Transfer if arriving by public transport||Pay locally - see below|
|Cross country ski equipment/person/day||GBP 25||EUR 25|
|Cross country ski equipment/person/week||GBP 77||EUR 80|
|Cross country ski lesson (90 mins, first person if 1-3 persons)||GBP 67||EUR 69|
|Cross country ski lesson (90 mins, 2nd or 3rd person)||GBP 30||EUR 31|
|Cross country ski lesson (90 mins, per person if 4-6 persons)||GBP 34||EUR 35|
|Ice skates/person/day||GBP 5||EUR 5|
|Ice skates/person/week||GBP 25||EUR 25|
|Kicksled/day||GBP 10||EUR 10|
|Kicksled/week||GBP 49||EUR 50|
|Snowshoes/person/day||GBP 10||EUR 10|
|Snowshoes/person/week||GBP 49||EUR 50|
|Ice fishing equipment/set/day||GBP 10||EUR 10|
|Ice fishing equipment/set/week||GBP 25||EUR 25|
|Professional photographer||Arrange locally|
- Transfers: For guests travelling by public transport, taxi transfers are required (payable locally), either from Sysmä, price around €10/group (max. 4 persons) or transfer is also possible from Hartola at a cost of around €50/group (max. 4 persons).
- Cross country ski equipment: Skis, boots and poles - classic or skating skis available. Please provide height, weight and shoe size when booking.
- Professional photographer: It is possible to arrange for a professional photo session with a local photographer during your stay to create high-quality images to commemorate your trip and focusing on a theme of your choosing. This is arranged and booked locally.
What's Included »
Cabin Vesa and Cabin Taina:
- Sleeps up to 6 persons comfortably with 3 x 2-person bedrooms (Cabin Vesa has 3 x 2-person rooms which can be twin or double, Cabin Taina has 1 room with double bed + 2 x twin/double rooms). Able to accommodate up to 8 persons with an additional sofa bed (most suitable for children) in the hallway and a crib is also available.
- Fully-equipped kitchen for self-catering, including basic cookware, tableware, coffee machine, electric kettle, microwave, electric oven, combined fridge/freezer and dishwasher.
- Wood-burning stove and electric radiators.
- Firewood included.
- Washing room, dressing room and 2 WCs.
- Wood heated sauna.
- Free WiFi.
- Washing machine.
- Total area of 120 square metres.
- End cleaning of the cabin is included on departure.
- Siuated on slope overlooking pine forest and own natural frozen pond with jetty.
- Pets welcome.
- Around 800 metres from the frozen lake.
- Located on small pinewood hill and about 50 metres from the frozen lake.
- Cross country skiing trails from 6 to 11 km are available from your doorstep.
- Travel: We do not arrange flights or domestic travel, but are happy to advise on suitable connections and assist you with any aspect of planning your journey. See under "Getting There" for general travel information.
- Food: The cabins are fully-equipped for self-catering. The nearest shop is 7km away, 10 mins by car. NB: Please note if you choose not to have a car during your stay that you must have ALL provisions with you before leaving Sysmä. There are no facilities where the cabins are located. See "Optional extras" below for information on transfers if travelling by public transport.
Good To Know »
Suitable for adults and children of all ages. You should be in general good health and enjoy the outdoors.
What makes this "Easy"?
As a self-catering cabin experience, there is great flexibility to make your stay as relaxing or active as you wish, but any activities are optional. Level of challenge of activities will vary.
NB: Perception of difficulty is very subjective. What is hard to one person may be easy for another and vice versa, depending on factors including level of fitness, age and previous experience. Weather conditions/temperatures can also dramatically affect the actual level of challenge encountered.
For information on any equipment and/or clothing included as standard for this experience, please see under "What's Included".
A detailed recommended packing list for personal items to bring will be sent with your booking documentation.
NB: We advise you not to buy equipment or clothes for your trip or to incur other non-refundable expenses such as flights until you have received confirmation of your booking from us in writing. Note of course that the most appropriate clothing to use as well as the level of challenge experienced during any outdoor activity may vary significantly depending on factors such as the time of year and the particular weather/temperature conditions during your trip.
Preparing for your trip:
For further reading, we also have a number of general information articles to get you ready for your trip, covering a wide variety of topics from what to do on a city break before/after your tour, advice on packing, eyewear for winter and considerations for female travellers.
The cottage can accommodate up to 8 persons in 3 x 2-person rooms and additional bed in hallway.
Located on an organic farm and your local hosts use organic products on their fields and production is checked every year to meet the standards for organic farming. The cabins are built using wood taken from the surrounding forest and logs hand-crafted using an axe.
This provider has a written environmental policy.
Getting There »
Detailed information on travel options to this experience will be provided in response to your enquiry. We are happy to advise on suitable connections and assist you with any aspect of planning your journey.
Please ensure that you make a booking with us first and wait for confirmation that your spaces are reserved before making any travel arrangements.
Fly to Helsinki then onward to Sysmä by train (approx. 1 hour) + bus (approx. 1-1.5 hours) or bus (approx. 3 hours.)
Train from UK to Stockholm (Sweden) for ferry to Helsinki and onward train to Sysmä.