A great winter cabin holiday option for a couple or small family
This cosy, recently-restored cabin with sauna and own terrace is your base for days spent playing in the snow. Fully-equipped with wood burning stove, Cabin Ebba has everything you need for your winter holiday.
The cabin sleeps two adults in one double/twin bedroom with additional sofa bed sleeping up to one adult or two children (side by side).
Be as active as you wish, or just relax and enjoy the special atmosphere of wintertime. Photo: TET.
There is also a wood-fired sauna - a very Finnish experience and the perfect to relax after a day of winter outdoor activities as the sun goes down.
Go cross country skiing, snowshoeing or ice skate on a frozen lake
Winter trails are found on your doorstep and lead the way to explore the area in any way you choose, with cross country skis, skates and snowshoes available to hire as optional extras. If you are a beginner, a cross country skiing lesson is available before you head out on the trail to practise your new-found skills.
Prepared tracks over the frozen lake offer the opportunity to try the unique freedom of skating on natural ice, or you may wish to have a go at ice fishing! The cabin lies approx. 800m from the lake.
Prepared trails for cross country skiing start right from the cabin. Photo: TET.
The Romantic Winter Cabin with Sauna in Päijänne Tavastia is ideal for those looking for an active winter getaway with cosy accommodation.
For stays between late April and late October, the cabin also has an outdoor hot-tub, though please note this cannot be used during the winter season when temperatures are below zero.
Downhill skiing nearby
For guests travelling by car, there is a small downhill slope at Hiihtokeskus Purnu approx. 40km from the cabins, which is typically open from Christmas to late March/early April.
Check-in is from 16.00 on arrival day.
Please check-out latest 11.00 on departure day
Dates & Prices»
Dates 2023 and 2024
The cabin is available for booking year round. Season for winter activities normally mid-December to March, summer activities season May to September.
Rental periods are normally 8 days Saturday-Saturday. Shorter stays are also possible during some periods by arrangement - please see under "Prices" for details.
Check-in is from 16.00 on arrival day, please check-out latest 11.00 on departure day.
Prices 2023 and 2024
The cabins are available for booking year round. Season for winter activities normally mid-December to March, summer activities season May to September.
Please note the following regarding price and duration of stay:
- For stays spanning two price periods, the higher period price applies.
- Prices given below are for weekly stays 8 days/7 nights, normally Saturday-Saturday, though other start days may be possible by arrangement.
- During Low periods, shorter stays (min. 2 nights) are also possible. Please contact us for prices and information.
Price periods are for stays in winter between dates as follows:
- Low 2023: 02.12-16.12.23
- High 2023: 16.12.23-06.01.24
- Low 2024: 30.11-14.12.24
- High 2024: 14.12.24-04.01.25
NB: Please note that bedding and towels must be added for all prices below.
|Standard Prices (Cabin Taina or Cabin Vesa/cabin/week)|
|Bedding and towels||GBP|
|Optional Extras (see description below)|
|Transfer if arriving by public transport||Pay locally - see below|
|Cross country ski equipment/person/day||GBP|
|Cross country ski equipment/person/week||GBP|
|Cross country ski lesson (90 mins, first person if 1-3 persons)||GBP|
|Cross country ski lesson (90 mins, 2nd or 3rd person)||GBP|
|Cross country ski lesson (90 mins, per person if 4-6 persons)||GBP|
|Ice fishing equipment/set/day||GBP|
|Ice fishing equipment/set/week||GBP|
|Professional photographer||Arrange locally|
|Guided winter hiking/snowshoeing||Arrange locally|
- Transfers: For guests travelling by public transport, taxi transfers are required (payable locally), either from Sysmä, price around €/group (max. 4 persons) or transfer is also possible from Hartola at a cost of around €/group (max. 4 persons).
- Cross country ski equipment: Skis, boots and poles - classic or skating skis available. Please provide height, weight and shoe size when booking.
- Sliding snowshes: "Sliding snowshoes" are very short skis with skins at the bottom for grip. Bindings are compatible with normal winter boots.
- Professional photographer/Guided winter hiking: It is possible to arrange for a professional photo session with a local photographer during your stay to create high-quality images to commemorate your trip and focusing on a theme of your choosing. There is also a local nature guided offering winter walking/snowshoeing tours. These are arranged and booked locally - information will be given on arrival.
What's Included »
- Sleeps 2 persons in twin/double bedroom + sofa bed for additional adult or child(ren). The cabin is most suitable for up to 2 adults + 1 child, but up to 2 children can be accommodated sleeping side by side on sofa bed (note space will be limited in this case). Cot is available on request.
- Fully-equipped kitchen for self-catering, including basic cookware, tableware, coffee machine, electric kettle, microwave, electric oven, combined fridge/freezer and dishwasher.
- Wood-burning stove and electric radiators.
- Firewood included.
- Wood heated sauna.
- Free wi-fi.
- End cleaning of the cabin is included on departure.
- NB: There is a terrace with seating area and grill which also has a hot tub, however the hot tub cannot be used during wintertime.
- Cross country ski trails from 6 to 11 km are available from your doorstep.
- Travel: We do not arrange flights or domestic travel, but are happy to advise on suitable connections and assist you with any aspect of planning your journey. See under "Getting There" for general travel information.
- Food: The cabins are fully-equipped for self-catering. The nearest shop is 4km away, 10 mins by car. NB: Please note if you choose not to have a car during your stay that you may wish to purchase all provisions for your stay before leaving Sysmä. There are no facilities where the cabins are located. It is 4km from the cabins to the nearest stores, so if you wish to replenish supplies during your stay, it is possible to walk to the stores. Alternatively, you may wish to walk in one directly and return by taxi with your shopping.
Good To Know »
Suitable for adults and children of all ages. You should be in general good health and enjoy the outdoors.
What makes this "Easy"?
As a self-catering cabin experience, there is great flexibility to make your stay as relaxing or active as you wish, but any activities are optional. Level of challenge of activities will vary.
NB: Perception of difficulty is very subjective. What is hard to one person may be easy for another and vice versa, depending on factors including level of fitness, age and previous experience. Weather conditions/temperatures can also dramatically affect the actual level of challenge encountered.
For information on any equipment and/or clothing included as standard for this experience, please see under "What's Included".
A detailed recommended packing list for personal items to bring will be sent with your booking documentation.
NB: We advise you not to buy equipment or clothes for your trip or to incur other non-refundable expenses such as flights until you have received confirmation of your booking from us in writing. Note of course that the most appropriate clothing to use as well as the level of challenge experienced during any outdoor activity may vary significantly depending on factors such as the time of year and the particular weather/temperature conditions during your trip.
Preparing for your trip:
For further reading, we also have a number of general information articles to get you ready for your trip, covering a wide variety of topics from what to do on a city break before/after your tour, advice on packing, eyewear for winter and considerations for female travellers.
The cottage can accommodate 2-3 persons in twin/double room + sofa bed for additional adult or child.
Located on an organic farm. Your local hosts use organic products on their fields and production is checked every year to meet the standards for organic farming.
This provider has a written environmental policy.
Getting There »
See below for a summary of travel options. To learn more about how to travel to this experience, please get in touch!
Detailed information on travel will be provided in response to your enquiry. We are happy to advise on suitable connections and assist you with any aspect of planning your journey.
NB: Please ensure that you make a booking with us first and wait for confirmation that your spaces are reserved before making any travel arrangements.
Fly to Helsinki for train (1 hour) or bus (1 hour 15 mins) from Helsinki airport to Lahti + bus to Sysmä (1 hour 15 mins), from where transfer is available as an optional extra.
Train from UK to Stockholm (Sweden) for ferry to Helsinki and onward travel to Sysmä.