The Story So Far...
Nature Travels is owned and managed by Bob and Sofia Carter. Bob is British, Sofia Swedish (from the Stockholm Archipelago). We both lived and worked in Sweden for many years and, after spending 5 years in Switzerland, relocated to the UK and founded Nature Travels in late 2005. We opened our doors on 1st March 2006. Jayne and Niki complete The Nature Travels Team.
In the beginning, we focused exclusively on Sweden. We felt strongly that Sweden was very much under-represented as a destination for world-class outdoor activities, not only in winter but also in summer. Travellers were familiar with possibilities such as a city break to Stockholm or stay at the Ice Hotel, but the wonderful opportunities for world-class summer and winter outdoor adventures such as canoeing, kayaking, hiking, ski touring and dog sledding were comparatively little-known.
It is our mission to enable more travellers to discover the beauty, variety and adventure of the destinations we offer while maintaining a strong focus on sustainable practices.
- 2006: Nature Travels opens, focusing exclusively on outdoor experiences in Sweden.
- 2011: We add Norway to our portfolio to take advantage of the unique landscape and additional activity possibilities of this stunning country. You can see a video from around this time on the Dorset Business Mentors website where we talk about the Nature Travels journey so far!
- 2015: We expand to include Finland! As with Sweden, Finland is a wonderful destination for canoeing, kayaking and hiking in summer, as well as dog sledding, ski touring and snowshoeing in wintertime.
- 2019: Building on our 14 years of experience in offering high-quality outdoor adventures with Nature Travels, we add a range of adventure holidays for the growing running community under our new Trail Running category.
- 2020: Our first tour is added in Estonia! This diverse and beautiful Baltic country offers a wonderful complement to our range of experiences in the Nordic countries.
For more information on Nature Travels, see What Makes Us Special?
Photo: Nature Travels
Sofia is Swedish and from a very young age was active in the Scouts/Guides and as a teenager went camping most weekends.
Sofia has a keen interest in everything outdoorsy and strives to try as many different things as possible in life, but kayaking is her main interest in the summertime.
The "coolest" winter experience she has had so far was an 8-day Sami Reindeer Expedition in Lapland from the Swedish tundra and over the mountain pass into Norway.
Sofia looks after our product development, new products and partner companies research/set-up, back-office administration and financials. Sofia is the main contact for our partner companies.
Photo: Nature Travels
Bob fell in love with Sweden from his first visit, long before Nature Travels began, and his fascination with the Nordic countries has continued to grow.
As a dog lover, dog sledding is his favourite winter activity, and shortly after arriving at any husky kennel he'll normally disappear beneath a seething mass of furry paws, ears and tails at the earliest opportunity.
Canoeing is top of the list in summertime, though his sea kayaking is coming along steadily too. He hasn't quite mastered the Eskimo roll yet, though!
When confined within four walls, he'll normally reach for his guitar - you may even find him on a stage near you!
Bob looks after the website as well as dealing with customer enquiries and bookings and researching new products for our portfolio.
Jayne (Travel Sales Consultant, PR & Media Contact)
Photo: Jim Cribb
Jayne enjoys hiking, especially with her dogs. In the summer she can often be found messing about on, or near, water, whether it's sailing, kayaking, swimming or just dipping her toes in the shallows!
Jayne has been with us since 2013. As well as dealing with customer bookings and enquiries, Jayne and is the main contact for press and media.
Niki (Travel Sales Consultant, Online Marketing and Social Media)
Photo: Niki Bates
You can usually find Niki hiking along the coast or in the forest with her dog, Toby, who she rescued as a stray and brought back from Egypt during a sabbatical. Niki has been with us since 2014 and if she's not in her walking boots exploring, she'll be in her flip flops playing by the sea!
Niki deals with customer bookings and enquiries and looks after Nature Travels' online marketing and our social media presence on Facebook, Instagram and Twitter.