- Day tour or overnight options
- Drive own sled or share
- Ideal for adults or families
- Combine with optional snowmobile tour
- Just 20 mins' transfer from Kiruna
- Long season November to April
Two options for shorter dog sledding experiences with the option to drive own sled or share
If you are doing other activities in the Kiruna area and would like to add some extra days/activities to your stay but do not have the time to combine with one of our multi-day dogsled tours (such as Discover Dog Sledding or Northern Lights Dog Sledding), our One-day and Overnight Husky Tours in Kiruna are ideal.
Choose between a day or overnight tour, where you take command of your dogsled and dog team (or optionally can choose to share a sled one between two persons if you prefer). Overnight tour includes accommodation in cabin at the wilderness camp, which also has sauna facilities for the perfect end to the day!
You should find you make some four-legged friends during your trip! Photo: Jenny Simpson.
Tours are suitable for adults or families (recommended min. age 6 years) - children will drive their own sled, share with an adult or travel as a passenger depending on age/size/strength and the tour chosen. You will be provided with thermal outer suit, warm boots, hats and gloves.
The landscape of frozen lakes and forests which surrounds the Kiruna area is perfect for dog sledding, with even the shorter tours bringing to you out into scenic areas where you can feel the power of the surrounding winter wilderness.
Option 1: Musher for a Day
Drive your own dogsled with team of 3-4 huskies on a day tour into the wilderness. General good health required. Guests who prefer to may choose to share a sled one between two persons and take turns driving, changing after lunch break (5-6 dogs per sled are used in this case).
Children may drive own sled or share/travel as passenger depending on age/size/strength. Duration 4.5-5.5 hours including stop for hot lunch. Tours start with pick-up at local accommodation at 09.00 ending around 13.30-14.30.
The overnight tour option takes you a wilderness cabin for the night. Photo: M. Rullander.
Option 2: Dogsled Tour with Overnight in Wilderness Cabin
Drive your own dogsled with 3-4 huskies to your overnight accommodation at wilderness camp where sauna is included - a wonderful way to end a day's mushing, perhaps with the Northern Lights illuminating the night sky! General good health/fitness required. Guests can also opt to share a sled one per two persons (5-6 dogs per sled).
Dinner and breakfast is included. Children may drive own sled or share/travel as passenger depending on age/size/strength. Tour starts with pick-up at local accommodation at 13.00 ending around 09.00-10.00 the following day after early breakfast. Typical sledding duration first day around 1.5-2 hours, around 1 hour second day, depending on weather/trail conditions.
Snowmobile tours (daytime or evening) are available to add as optional extra activities on your arrival/departure days.
If you are doing the Overnight tour and would like an extra activity for your departure day, Reindeer Encounter and Sámi Experience in Lpaland is just nearby.
As with all our dogsled tours, you will be involved in all aspects of the trip, and this is very much part of the experience. You will assist with caring for your dog team, including harnessing, feeding (and, yes, picking up poo!), as well as tasks around camp such as fetching water, chopping wood, preparing food, washing up, etc.
Arrival & Departure
Snowmobile activities are available to add as optional extras in connection with the start/end of your dogsled tour - see under "Prices > Optional extras" for details.
Reindeer Encounter and Sámi Experience in Lapland is just nearby and can also be a good option for an extra activity after the Overnight tour.
Musher for a Day:
Tour starts with pick-up at local accommodation at 09.00.
Tour ends around 13.30-14.30, after which you will be transferred to your local accommodation in Kiruna or to Kiruna train station/airport for departure.
Dogsled Tour with Overnight in Wilderness Cabin:
Tour starts with pick-up at local accommodation or Kiruna airport/train station) at 13.00.
Tour ends the following morning around 09.00-10.00 after a short sled back to the kennels, after which you will be transferred to your local accommodation Kiruna or to Kiruna train station/airport for departure.
If doing an overnight tour, you should plan departure time from Kiruna no earlier than lunchtime. If you are adding snowmobiling as an optional activity on your departure day, you should plan departure time no earlier than 14.00.
Dates 2019/20 and 2020/21
Tours are offered daily between mid-November and late April*.
*The Northern Lights are visible from around September to early/mid April. The deep midwinter period of November-January offers the longest hours of darkness, which is of course required for the Northern Lights to be visible, while the "spring winter" of March and April offers longer hours of daylight and typically milder temperatures. The Northern Lights can be visible at any time during this period, including during March to mid-April. While March and April have shorter nights, on the other hand these months can also have a greater incidence of clear skies.
Prices 2019/20 (also currently possible for 2020/21)
Prices are in British Pounds and Euros. If you wish, you are also welcome to make your payment in Swedish Kronor (SEK) - please contact us for details.
|Musher for a Day|
|Per adult (share sled)||GBP 151||EUR 180|
|Per child under 16 (share sled)||GBP 76||EUR 90|
|Per person (drive own sled*)||GBP 186||EUR 221|
|Dogsled Tour with Overnight in Wilderness Cabin|
|Per adult (share sled)||GBP 255||EUR 303|
|Per child under 16 (share sled)||GBP 128||EUR 152|
|Per person (drive own sled*)||GBP 324||EUR 385|
*Min. age to drive own sled 16 years. Please specify when booking whether you wish to share or drive own sled. Where guests share a sled, it is of course possible to change during the tour so that both persons have the opportunity to drive (if travelling with children, please see "Dog Sledding for Families" below).
Dog sledding for families:
This experience is suitable for both adults and families. Adult participants may choose to drive own sled or share one per two persons (solo travellers must choose drive own sled option).
All participants who wish to drive own sled must be aged 16 or over and weigh more than 50kg. It is not permitted for children under 16 to have own sled regardless of size/strength.
Children aged 12-15 will share sled with adult and, depending on factors such as size and strength, will normally be able to take turns driving.
Younger children will travel on a parent's sled or on guide's sled depending on conditions and the ratio of parents/children in the group. Children aged 7-12 are often able to try driving for certain parts of the route (for example standing with an adult behind the sled to drive) where the terrain is level and easy-going and the guide is able to easily supervise the group. While age is a helpful guideline, a number of other factors such as physical strength and weather/trail conditions will also influence the suitability for children to try driving.
Safety is of the highest priority and possibilities for children under 16 to drive will be at your guide's discretion.
|Optional Extras per person (see description below)|
|Keep Warm package||GBP 80||EUR 95|
|Snowmobile daytime tour 2.5 hours (shared one per two persons)|
|Per Adult||GBP 100||EUR 118|
|Per Child under 16||GBP 50||EUR 59|
|Snowmobile daytime tour 3.5-4 hours (shared one per two persons)|
|Per Adult||GBP 130||EUR 154|
|Per Child under 16||GBP 65||EUR 77|
|Snowmobile evening tour 2.5 hours (shared one per two persons)|
|Per Adult||GBP 112||EUR 133|
|Per Child under 16||GBP 57||EUR 67|
|Snowmobile evening tour 3.5-4 hours (shared one per two persons)|
|Per Adult||GBP 147||EUR 174|
|Per Child under 16||GBP 74||EUR 88|
|Supplement to drive own snowmobile (all snowmobile tours)|
|Per Adult||GBP 48||EUR 57|
- Keep Warm package: Winter clothing package including base layer, micro-fleece, balaclava and woollen socks (note that this clothing is purchased, not hired, and is yours to keep). NB: Please provide height, weight and shoe size information when booking this option. Keep warm packages are available in adult sizes XS and larger. They are therefore not suitable for young children but smaller adult sizes will normally be suitable for children aged around 12 years upwards. Details »
- Snowmobile tours: Can be added as an extra activity in connection with the start/end of your dogsled tour. Daytime tours can be added on start day (2.5 hour tours only) or end day (2.5 hour or 3.5-4 hours tours) of Overnight dogsled tours only. Evening tours can be added for Musher for a Day tours only. Solo travellers must choose drive own snowmobile option. Duration given is approx. total tour duration including initial instruction and breaks: 2.5 hour tours include snack/coffee, 3.5-4 hour tours include lunch (daytime) or dinner (evening). Evening tours give good possibilities to see Northern Lights if conditions are suitable. Min. age 10 years. Min. age to drive own snowmobile 18 years. Participants wishing to drive must hold full driving licence and be able to show licence locally. Morning tours typically begin with pick-up at 10.00. Evening tours typically begin with pick-up at 18.00 (up to 25th March) or 20.00 (from 26th March onwards).
What's Included »
- Option 1: Musher for a Day: Guests drive own sled or share one per two persons. Hot lunch.
- Option 2: Dogsled Tour with Overnight in Wilderness Cabin: Guests drive own sled or share one per two persons. Dinner, breakfast, sauna and shared sleeping accommodation. Standard of accommodation is simple (no running water or electricity) but cosy and comfortable. Cabins will typically have one or two sleeping rooms, each with bunk beds. The cabins are heated by wood-burning stoves and lit by candles, and water is drawn from nearby rivers and lakes. Everyone assists with camp duties such as chopping wood, fetching water and washing/tidying up. There may also be other persons staying at the overnight accommodation used during the overnight tour.
Typical cabin accommodation used during the overnight tour
Equipment and Clothing:
- All necessary equipment during dog sledding tour.
- Warm winter clothing for all activities: snowscooter overalls, winter boots, hat, gloves, inner and outer socks.
- For Overnight tour: Sleeping bag, sleeping sheet, pillow case and towel.
(additional items such as long-johns may be available on request - please ask if there is a particular item of clothing or equipment you require)
Winter clothing provided
- Instruction in harnessing and sled handling (for tours driving/sharing own sled).
- Services of local guide.
- Return transfer between Kiruna station, Kiruna airport or local accommodation in connection with the start/end of your tour.
- Travel: We do not arrange flights or domestic travel, but are happy to advise on suitable connections and assist you with any aspect of planning your journey. See under "Getting There" for general travel information.
- Alcoholic drinks.
Good To Know »
You should have a general good level of health and enjoy the outdoors. Suitable for adults and families. Day and overnight tours will typically be suitable for children aged 6 and over.
All participants who wish to drive own sled must be aged 16 or over and weigh more than 50kg. It is not permitted for children under 16 to have own sled regardless of size/strength. See under "Prices > Dog Sledding for Families" for more information.
No previous dog sledding experience is required.
If weight >95kg, please contact us to discuss suitability.
What makes this "Easy"?
As short tours, the level of challenge will be lower than multi-day tours in similar terrain and are suitable for wide range of participants, including families. As with any winter experience, weather/temperature/trail conditions can considerably influence the level of challenge. Choosing option to share sled will reduce overall level of challenge slightly compared to driving own sled.
NB: Perception of difficulty is very subjective. What is hard to one person may be easy for another and vice versa, depending on factors including level of fitness, age and previous experience. Weather conditions/temperatures can also dramatically affect the actual level of challenge encountered.
For information on any equipment and/or clothing included as standard for this experience, please see under "What's Included".
A detailed recommended packing list for personal items to bring will be sent with your booking documentation.
NB: We advise you not to buy equipment or clothes for your trip or to incur other non-refundable expenses such as flights until you have received confirmation of your booking from us in writing. Note of course that the most appropriate clothing to use as well as the level of challenge experienced during any outdoor activity may vary significantly depending on factors such as the time of year and the particular weather/temperature conditions during your trip.
Preparing for your trip:
For further reading, we also have a number of general information articles to get you ready for your trip, covering a wide variety of topics from what to do on a city break before/after your tour, advice on packing, eyewear for winter and considerations for female travellers.
A total of minimum 2 persons is required for scheduled tours to run. You are of course welcome to book as a solo traveller.
Combine This With
This experience makes a good combination with the following:
- Option 1: Musher for a Day: Max. six sleds + guide, i.e. 12 persons if all persons sharing sled or 6 persons if all driving own sled.
- Option 2: Dogsled Tour with Overnight in Wilderness Cabin: max. 6 persons + guide.
This experience is also available as a private experience for groups. For private tours, larger groups can be accommodated. Please contact us to discuss your requirements.
This provider has a detailed environmental policy and has received Swedish Tour Quality certification.
The sleds are made in a local workshop just 100m from the kennels, while many of the dogs' harnesses are sewn by a local family.
Getting There »
Detailed information on travel options to this experience will be provided in response to your enquiry. We are happy to advise on suitable connections and assist you with any aspect of planning your journey.
Please ensure that you make a booking with us first and wait for confirmation that your spaces are reserved before making any travel arrangements.
Fly to Stockholm then onward to Kiruna by night train or domestic flight connection. Transfer from Kiruna airport or train station is included.
Ferry Dover-Dunkirk or Newcastle-Amsterdam for onward train connections to Kiruna.
Gallery & Reviews »
"Dog sledding and reindeer sledding was amazing. Experience of Sami culture and history powerful. Loved it. Thanks for helpful service and great experience" Lisa, who combined Musher for a Day with Reindeer Encounter and Sámi Experience in Lapland, December 2019
"We did the husky sledding from Kiruna and it was the highlight of the trip. The guide was great, we did have to just get on with it and gave us a bit of a challenge to get up to speed with the sleds, etc, but this just made it a more rewarding experience." James, December 2019
"[The best part was] everything! Definitely a memorable experience. Nature Travels provided the experiences I was looking for all in one place for an affordable price." Lily, December 2019