Canoe Tours in Bergslagen is the ideal canoe trip for those looking for a paddle adventure combining a beautiful landscape of quiet forests and lakes with an element of challenge. Surrounded by marsh and woodland, Canoe Tours in Bergslagen runs in a remote area through a series of lakes and small rivers.
You will be camping wild each night, planning your days and distance to cover each day as you wish. A fishing licence can be purchased for fishing along parts of the tour.
Depending on your chosen route and duration, the total distance covered for Canoe in Bergslagen is between 85 and 105km. If you would like to increase the level of challenge, the total distance can also be extended by the addition of a number of detours into side lake and river systems.
This canoe tour also requires about 10 land crossings, the longest transport needed being 4-9km depending on water levels. A canoe trolley is included as part of your equipment to assist with land transports. The land transports required during the canoe trip and the remote nature of much of the area makes Canoe in Bergslagen the most challenging of our canoeing tours in the Värmland area. No previous experience of canoeing is required, but you should be used to and enjoy the outdoor life.
Bergslagen, the name given to the old mining areas reaching over Västermanland, the southern parts of Dalarna and the east of Värmland, is wonderful canoeing country. The natural surroundings in Bergslagen offer a beautiful area of connected lakes and rivers superb for paddlers. The flora and fauna of Bergslagen, where the north and south of Sweden meet, is a cross-section of Swedish species.
Canoe Tours in Bergslagen is suitable for adults and also for families with older children who are used to the outdoors - a fairly challenging but very rewarding paddle adventure that will leave you with a host of memories and stories to tell!
Canoeing for odd-numbered groups
Canoes used are 2-person Canadian canoes but can also accommodate three persons. For odd numbers, there are two possibilities - please specify your chosen option when booking (option chosen does not affect the price):
- Paddle three persons in one canoe. This reduces the level of challenge but note that this option will limit available space for packing (this option is not recommended if your party is only three persons in total).
- Extra person uses sit-on-top kayak as alternative to canoe. The majority of packing for this extra person will then be carried in one of the canoes. A trolley is provided for the kayak to assist with land transports.
Detailed information you will need for your experience, including a description of the route, is sent out once full payment has been received.
You meet at the canoe centre in Gunnerud, where you will receive your canoe equipment, some instruction on paddling technique and other information for your tour. You can also now buy a fishing licence for the tour if you wish. Together with the canoe centre staff, you take some time to mark the places on the map where you have to launch and take the canoe out of the water and note some suitable camping spots. Together you load the canoe equipment onto the minibus and head for the starting point to begin your canoe tour.
- High season: Check-in is between 13.00 and 14.00.
- Low season: Start time is by arrangement between 12.00 and 17.00.
Launching your canoes into Västra Sundsjön, you paddle south. At the southern end of the lake, you take the canoes out of the water and make your first land transport, about 700m, to launch into Östra Sundsjön, heading north through a beautiful labyrinth of floating islands.
Your canoe tour continues through lakes, canals and creeks with a total of 10 land crossings, the longest being 4-9km depending on water levels. In normal water conditions, it is possible to step out of the canoe and drag it alongside for much of the distance during the longest transport.
At one point you have the choice of two different routes. You can take your time and consider your strength and the time you have left when deciding which route to choose.
For the 7-day tour, we recommend that you take all food needed for the tour with you from the start - there are opportunities to purchase food only during the very last section of the tour. For the 14-day tour (see below), there are some possibilities to purchase provisions during the Svartälven section.
Your canoe tour ends 7 or 14 days later. You will be met at the end point for return transfer to the canoe centre.
- High season: Pick-up on Friday at 14.30 (back at canoe centre around 15.00).
- Low season: Pick-up time is by arrangement between 12.00 and 17.00.
The tour has two standard lengths: 85km or 105km. The longer route entails an extension loop and provides a more challenging option if you feel you have the energy and time. This does not need to be decided in advance.
For the 14-day option, the route is a combination of the Canoe in Bergslagen and Canoe on Svartälven route into one extended canoe tour, (total standard distance around 180km). Note that the land transports required for the Svartälven section of the tour are less demanding than for Bergslagen.
- 22.06 and 24.08.19 (last start 24th August). Start days Saturdays, check-in between 13.00 and 14.00.
- 01.05-22.06.19 and 22.08-30.09.19 (latest end date 30th September). Start any day (except Sundays) by arrangement between 12.00 and 17.00 for a minimum of 4 adults. Smaller groups are also possible, charged at the full rate for 4 adults due to custom transfer logistics.
Prices are in British Pounds and Euros. If you wish, you are also welcome to make your payment in Swedish Kronor (SEK) - please contact us for details.
Prices include full kitchen equipment.
High Season/Low Season tours: During High Season, standard per person prices and start days apply. For tours during Low Season, there is a minimum charge of the cost for 4 adults due to custom transfers required. See under "Dates" for more information.
NB: Maps are not included, but are essential for the tour. Maps must therefore either be added as optional extra or purchased independently - please see below for details of maps required.
|7-day tour/adult||GBP 171||EUR 192|
|7-day tour/child under 16||GBP 86||EUR 96|
|14-day tour/adult||GBP 280||EUR 314|
|14-day tour/child under 16||GBP 140||EUR 157|
The 14-day version of this experience combines the 7-day route for Canoe Tours in Bergslagen with the 7-day route for Canoe Tours on Svartälven.
|Optional Extras (see description below)|
|Sleeping bag package/person||GBP 23||EUR 26|
|Provisions package/adult||GBP 100||EUR 113|
|Provisions package/child under 16||GBP 91||EUR 103|
|Tent (per 3-4 persons)||GBP 70||EUR 79|
|Maps/set (required)||GBP 24||EUR 27|
|Sleeping bag package/person||GBP 35||EUR 39|
|Provisions package/adult (7 days only)||GBP 100||EUR 113|
|Provisions package/child under 16 (7 days only)||GBP 91||EUR 103|
|Tent (per 3-4 persons)||GBP 88||EUR 99|
|Maps/set (required)||GBP 36||EUR 40|
- Sleeping bag package: Includes sleeping bag, sleeping bag liner and foam sleeping mat.
- Provisions package: See image below. You can choose to add a food package for up to 7 days. The food provided is that eaten by a typical Swedish family. At the start of the tour you will be given a provisions box with the food for the trip (if you have specific dietary requirements, please let us know so that arrangements can be made). The exact contents of the package may change depending on the season and availability. The food is purchased from small, local countryside shops. Typical contents include: bread, butter, cheese, juice, milk, yoghurt, muesli, coffee, tea, salami, jam, meatballs, fishballs, Swedish beef stew, ham, sausages, pork loin, mashed potatoes, onions, carrots, vegetables, beetroot, apples, biscuits, tomatoes, cucumber, rice, macaroni, asparagus soup, cauliflower soup, salt and pepper. NB: If choosing provisions, please note that for organisational reasons all persons travelling together must choose food packages (i.e. it is not possible to split packages or to purchase for only some members of a group). You are also welcome to bring your own provisions for your tour if you wish.
- Tent: See image below. High quality 3/4-person Hilleberg tents. Please note that, like all tents rated 4 persons, the tents are most comfortable for 3 adults.
- Maps (required): Note that these are purchased, not hired, and are yours to keep. If doing the 7-day tour, maps required are 626 Hagfors and 636 Äppelbo. If doing the 14-day tour, maps required are 626 Hagfors, 627 Fredriksberg and 636 Äppelbo. Maps can be purchased independently through The Map Shop. Alternatively, you can order maps through us and collect them along with the rest of your equipment in Sweden.
- Fishing: Simple fishing equipment and also fishing licences can be purchased at the canoe centre on arrival.
Tent (3-4 persons)
Typical food package contents (for 4 persons)
What's Included »
Maps are essential for this tour. Maps can be ordered independently or as an optional extra - please see "Optional extras" below.
- Canoe equipment: 2-person Canadian canoe, paddles, buoyancy aids, one waterproof pack barrel (approx. 60 litres) and one waterproof dry bag (approx. 40 litres) per canoe, water can (5 litres), canoe rope, canoe trolley, toilet spade, cleaning sponge and rubbish bags. For odd-numbered groups, please specify when booking whether you would like to paddle three persons in one canoe or would like sit-on-top kayak for odd-numbered person.
- Kitchen equipment: Trangia hurricane stove* with fuel, cups, plates, cutlery, carving-knife, cutting board, spatula, cheese slicer, whip, butter knife, can/bottle opener, potato peeler, bowl, dish brush, washing-up liquid, kitchen roll, matches and storage box.
- Instructor: Instruction meeting before your tour starts.
- Transfers: Transport by minibus for participants and equipment from the meeting point to/from the start/end points of the tour.
- Nature Card: Required for 14-day tour only. To preserve the local environment all adults canoeing in the Svartälven area are required to have a "Nature Card", the proceeds of which go towards management of the area.
*Exact contents may differ from example shown
Please be careful with the canoe and the rest of your equipment! If some part of the equipment should break as a result of misuse or carelessness, you may be charged for the damage caused.
Please see "Optional Extras".
- Travel: We do not arrange flights or domestic travel, but are happy to advise on suitable connections and assist you with any aspect of planning your journey. See under "Getting There" for general travel information.
- Food: This tour runs in a remote area with no opportunities to buy food along the way until the last part of the route. We recommend you bring all food with you from the start.
- Sleeping Bag
Good To Know »
Swimming ability required by adults. All participation at own risk. Minimum 2 adults.
You should be in good health and have a general good level of fitness and strength.
The canoe tour is on calm running waters and small to medium-sized lakes. The Bergslagen tour requires a number of land transports, the longest of which is 4-9km depending on water levels. During the land transports the canoe can be transported on the canoe trolley but you will need to carry other equipment. This tour may be too demanding for younger children and is unsuitable for children under 10. If you have younger children, our Canoe on Svartälven or Canoe on Klarälven tours may be more suitable. Please don't hesitate to ask if you have any questions.
What makes this "Medium-Hard"?
The tour takes place in a fairly remote area and features wild camping on all nights, but most paddling during the tour has moderate level of challenge. Land transports during the tour can be demanding. Choosing the optional route extension loop will increase the level of challenge.
NB: Perception of difficulty is very subjective. What is hard to one person may be easy for another and vice versa, depending on factors including level of fitness, age and previous experience. Weather conditions/temperatures can also dramatically affect the actual level of challenge encountered.
For information on any equipment and/or clothing included as standard for this experience, please see under "What's Included".
A detailed recommended packing list for personal items to bring will be sent with your booking documentation.
NB: We advise you not to buy equipment or clothes for your trip or to incur other non-refundable expenses such as flights until you have received confirmation of your booking from us in writing. Note of course that the most appropriate clothing to use as well as the level of challenge experienced during any outdoor activity may vary significantly depending on factors such as the time of year and the particular weather/temperature conditions during your trip.
Preparing for your trip:
For further reading, we also have a number of general information articles to get you ready for your trip, covering a wide variety of topics from what to do on a city break before/after your tour, advice on packing, eyewear for winter and considerations for female travellers.
Combine This With
This experience makes a good combination with the following:
- Back to Basics in Cosy Cabins (3 or more days, 2-2.5 hours by car or bus)
- Lakeside Cabin Retreat in Värmland (3 or more days, 1.5 hours by car or 2.5 hours by public transport)
- Log Cabin Escape in Värmland (3 or more days, 1.5 hours by car or 2.5 hours by public transport)
- Timber Rafting on Klaräven (5 or 8 days, same location)
Canoe in Bergslagen is suitable for groups of up to max. 10 persons.
This provider has received a prestigious Swedish Ecotourism award for its commitment to high standards to cultural and environmental sensitivity.
Getting There »
Detailed information on travel options to this experience will be provided in response to your enquiry. We are happy to advise on suitable connections and assist you with any aspect of planning your journey.
Please ensure that you make a booking with us first and wait for confirmation that your spaces are reserved before making any travel arrangements.
You can choose to fly to Stockholm, Gothenburg or Oslo airports. From here, you travel by public transport to Karlstad (around 2.5-5.5 hours depending on options chosen). From Karlstad, you travel by local bus to Gunnerud (around 1.5 hours). You can also choose to travel by hire car.
Ferry Dover-Dunkirk or Newcastle-Amsterdam for onward connections to Gunnerud.
Gallery & Reviews »
"Fantastic countryside. Good mix of large lakes, small lakes, rivers and canals. Great to find our own camping sites. Great holiday. Well organised. Very good equipment and food supplies." Brian, August 2018
"The communication and the service made us very confidentIn the middle of our trip, we noticed we were in advance on our programm so we decided to stay 2 nights on a small island. Very romantic and restful." Zoe, combined Bergslagen + Svartäven 14-day tour, August 2017
"Scenery was wonderful and the experience memorable." Guy