- Dates & Prices
- Good to Know
- Gallery & Reviews
In a picturesque location by the water's edge, Lakeside Cabin Retreat in Värmland is ideal as a romantic cabin break for couples, a flexible and relaxing holiday for active families or a chance to spend time with friends.
The two cabins, "Fyra" and "Åtta", are of equal standard, constructed in a traditional style and surrounded by deep forest ideal for exploring on foot or by mountain bike with a number of hiking possibilities right from the door. Canoes and mountain bikes are available to hire amd there is also the possibility to play "disc golf".
Each cabin also comes with its own rowing boat (or canoe if preferred) included as standard. The boat can be used to explore the system of lakes in the area in search of secret picnic spots along the shores or to take advantage of the excellent fishing opportunities (see under "Fishing" below).
Cabin "Åtta" sleeps up to 4 persons. Just 20m from the cabin is a sandy beach with grill area, ideal for bathing. The cabin lies 200m from a small campsite with larger bathing area and there is a sauna available for your use just a few metres away. For larger families or groups of friends, a simple guest cabin next to the "Åtta" cabin can also be hired to accommodate a further 2 persons. The cabin has a wood-burning stove.
Cabin "Fyra" is located very close to the water on its own small peninsula near to the campsite bathing jetty and has its own small bathing beach/boat jetty. The cabin also sleeps up to 4 persons and has a lovely secluded veranda. As for Cabin "Åtta", there is a grill area nearby and sauna available for your use.
The dense forests of the area (known as "Finnskogen", the Finnish Forest) are home to a wide range of wildlife. You can visit the local beaver hide to go in search of the graceful and industrious beaver or roam the forests on the lookout for the majestic elk. With luck, you may even see signs and tracks left by one of Sweden's most fascinating, though also most reclusive, larger animals: the wolf.
Lakeside Cabin Retreat in Värmland offers both a tranquil forest holiday and the opportunity for a range of outdoor activities - ideal for couples, families or groups of friends where some prefer to be active while others like to take it easy! The cabins are comfortable and have bathroom with shower and WC, fully-equipped kitchen and living area.
Located within a fishing reserve, Lakeside Cabin Retreat in Värmland is a marvellous base for fishing for pike, perch and pike-perch depending on the time of year. Fishing licence and "deep maps" of the three larger lakes are included, and equipment hire can be arranged locally.
Guests wishing to fish should have a previous working knowledge of fishing. For guests without previous fishing experience who wish to fish during their stay, a day course is required locally. Please contact us for details.
Use of rowing boat
The boat included as standard is provided without motor. A motor for use with the boat is available to hire locally if required.
Please note the option to use motor is available only to guests with previous experience of and competence in driving a boat with engine.
Guests arriving by public transport can arranged transfer from Arvika (approx. 45 mins) as an optional extra. In Arvika, pick-up time will be planned to allow time to shop for provisions for your stay before transfer.
You will have access to your cabin from 15.00 on your arrival day. You should aim to arrive between 15.00 and 18.00. Later arrival times are also possible by prior arrangement. Please let us know your estimated arrival time in advance.
Please check out by 12.00.
- Not Included
Both cabins are suitable for stays year-round (season for winter activities normally mid-December-March). For those interested in fishing, the best fishing season is May to the middle of June and from end of August through the whole of September and part of October.
Prices are in British Pounds and Euros. If you wish, you are also welcome to make your payment in Swedish Kronor (SEK) - please contact us for details.
- During high season, rental periods are normally 8 days Saturday-Saturday, though other start days and durations may also be possible. Short stays (min. 3 nights) are available during low season and may also be possible during high season on request.
- High Season prices apply June/July/August (+ Christmas and New Year). For stays spanning two price periods (low-high season), the higher period price applies.
NB: Please note that bedding and towels must be added for all prices below.
|Cabin Fyra or Åtta/week (low season)||GBP 735||EUR 830|
|Cabin Fyra or Åtta/night (low season)||GBP 105||EUR 119|
|Cabin Fyra or Åtta/week (high season)||GBP 1,007||EUR 1,137|
|Cabin Fyra or Åtta/night (high season)||GBP 144||EUR 163|
|Cabin Åtta + Guest Cabin/week (low season)||GBP 1,005||EUR 1,135|
|Cabin Åtta + Guest Cabin/night (low season)||GBP 144||EUR 162|
|Cabin Åtta + Guest Cabin/week (high season)||GBP 1,224||EUR 1,382|
|Cabin Åtta + Guest Cabin/night (high season)||GBP 175||EUR 198|
|Bedding and towels/person/stay||GBP 18||EUR 21|
|Optional Extras (see description below)|
|Transfer (up to 4 persons return)||GBP 72||EUR 81|
- Transfers: For guests travelling by public transport, transfers are required from the train station in Arvika (if combining your cabin stay with Canoe Tours in Rottnan/Röjdån, transfer to/from Torsby rather than Arvika is also possible). Please note that transfer times must be booked at least four weeks before departure. NB: Maximum 4 persons can be accommodated in standard transfers. For larger groups, transfer must be arranged by private taxi, cost around 1400 SEK (about £140) return for up to 7 persons.
- Canoes and mountain bikes: Canoes and mountain bikes are also available to hire from your local host, payment to be made locally. For bikes, child sizes for children aged approx 8-12 years are available.
NB: The cabins are in a fairly remote location, approx. 1km from your host's house and around 20km from the nearest shops. The experience is accessible by public transport (see "Optional extras" below) and it is not essential to have a car, but you will require a car if you would like to make the most of the possibilities in the local area and may find a vehicle convenient during your stay.
Please let us know in advance if you have any special requirements such as cot or high chair. Bed linen is provided for guests to make up the rooms as required on arrival.
Cabin "Åtta": (+ optional guest cabin)
- Sleeps up to 4 persons in 2 bedrooms, 1 with twin beds, 1 with bunk beds.
- Small summer cabin adjacent to main cabin sleeps an additional two persons in two beds at floor level. Guest cabin has bedroom, kitchen (inc. microwave) and WC/shower (guest cabin has no TV). Total area 25 square metres + 12 square metres balcony.
- Total area approx. 45 square metres + 12 square metres balcony.
- Located just 20m from the water's edge.
- Wood-burning stove and electric radiators.
- Bathroom with shower and WC.
- A sauna is available for your use just a few metres from the cabin.
- Fully-equipped kitchen including microwave.
- Washing machine available (only during period 15th June-15th September). NB: Please note that one wash per week is included as standard. There is a small charge locally for additional use.
- Own rowing boat (or canoe if preferred).
- Located 1km from your hosts' house.
Cabin Åtta Sauna
- Sleeps up to 4 adults (family of 5 may also be possible by arrangement) in 2 bedrooms, 1 with twin beds, 1 with bunk beds. One of the bunk beds is standard size, one larger.
- Located on its own small peninsula just a few metres from the water's edge.
- Other specifications as per Cabin "Åtta" above, except that Cabin "Fyra" does not have wood-burning stove.
Cabin Fyra Sauna
- Linder 440 aluminium fishing boat with buoyancy aids (2-3 person canoe can also be chosen as alternative to boat if preferred). The boat is suitable for 4-5 persons. The boats are in the three larger lakes and are ideal both for general leisure use to explore the lakes and for fishing.
- Map covering the whole fishing area and "deep maps" for the three larger lakes.
Your host will meet you for welcome meeting giving useful information for your stay on the morning following your arrival.
End cleaning of the cabin on departure.
- Travel: We do not arrange flights or domestic travel, but are happy to advise on suitable connections and assist you with any aspect of planning your journey. See under "Good to Know > Getting There" for general travel information.
- Food: The cabins are fully-equipped for self-catering. The nearest shop is 20km away, 15 min by car. NB: Please note if you choose not to have a car during your stay that you must have ALL provisions with you before leaving Arvika. There are no facilities where the cabins are located. Time can be allowed in Arvika to shop for provisions before pick-up. See "Optional extras" below for information on transfers if travelling by public transport.
- Additional equipment available to hire locally such as mountain bikes, canoes and fishing gear.
- Getting There
- Combine This With
- Eco Info
You should have general good health - guests of all ages are welcome. The summer is most suitable for families. In spring and autumn the weather can be rougher on the water and we recommend warm clothes.
What makes this "Easy"?
As a self-catering cabin experience, there is great flexibility to make your stay as relaxing or active as you wish, but any activities are optional. Level of challenge of activities will vary.
NB: Perception of difficulty is very subjective. What is hard to one person may be easy for another and vice versa, depending on factors including level of fitness, age and previous experience. Weather conditions/temperatures can also dramatically affect the actual level of challenge encountered.
For information on any equipment and/or clothing included as standard for this experience, please see under "Dates and Prices > Included".
A detailed recommended packing list for personal items to bring will be sent with your booking documentation.
NB: We advise you not to buy equipment or clothes for your trip or to incur other non-refundable expenses such as flights until you have received confirmation of your booking from us in writing. Note of course that the most appropriate clothing to use as well as the level of challenge experienced during any outdoor activity may vary significantly depending on factors such as the time of year and the particular weather/temperature conditions during your trip.
Preparing for your trip:
For further reading, we also have a number of general information articles to get you ready for your trip, covering a wide variety of topics from what to do on a city break before/after your tour, advice on packing, eyewear for winter and considerations for female travellers.
Detailed information on travel options to this experience will be provided in response to your enquiry. We are happy to advise on suitable connections and assist you with any aspect of planning your journey.
Please ensure that you make a booking with us first and wait for confirmation that your spaces are reserved before making any travel arrangements.
Fly to Stockholm, Gothenburg or Oslo airports for onward travel by train to Arvika or by hire car, travel time 2.5-4.5 hours depending on options chosen. Transfer to/from Arvika train station is available as an optional extra for guests travelling by public transport (if combining your cabin stay with Canoe Tours in Rottnan/Röjdån, transfer to/from Torsby rather than Arvika is also possible).
Ferry Dover-Dunkirk or Newcastle-Amsterdam for onward train connections to Arvika.
Combine This With
This experience makes a good combination with the following:
- Canoe Tours in Bergslagen (7 or 14 days, 1.5 hours by car or 2.5 hours by public transport)
- Canoe Tours on Klarälven (4-7 days, 1.5 hours by car or 2.5 hours by public transport)
- Canoe Tours on Rottnan/Röjdån (4 days, 45 mins by transfer from cabins to/from Torsby)
- Canoe Tours on Svartälven (4, 7 or 14 days, 1.5 hours by car or 2.5 hours by public transport)
- Timber Rafting on Klarälven (5 or 8 days, 1.5 hours by car or 2.5 hours by public transport)
Groups or families travelling together are very welcome to hire both cabins, which together can accommodate up to 8 (+2 including guest cabin) persons.
This host has received a prestigious Swedish Ecotourism award for commitment to high standards to cultural and environmental sensitivity.
The "Finnskogen", or Finnish Forest, is the name given to a large area of forest covering parts of Värmland and extending across the border into Norway.
The forest is named after the immigrant settlers who came to the area in the 1600s from Finland (then part of Kingdom of Sweden) to make their living from agriculture.
Today the forest is an excellent area for outdoor activities as well as important habitat for a wide range of Swedish fauna, including elk, deer, woodland birds and hare.
"The cabin is stunning and like something from a romantic film, the host is charming and the place divine. The place was delightful, such a tranquil setting." Jane, February 2017
"We absolutely loved our vacation, so great to be secluded in such a nice cabin!" Anne-Laure, New Year 2016/17
"We had a great time. Really happy with the service, thank you for all of your help. The owner of the cabin was very friendly and helpful. We enjoyed walking the local trails. The cabin was very nice." Alice and Jon, October 2016