- Dates & Prices
- Good to Know
- Gallery & Reviews
If you are doing other experiences in the Kiruna area (such as our Wilderness Cabin at the Reindeer Lodge) and would like to add some extra days/activities to your stay but do not have the time to combine with one of our multi-day dogsled tours (such as Discover Dog Sledding or Northern Lights Dog Sledding), our one-day and overnight husky tours are ideal.
Choose between a day or overnight tour, where you take command of your dogsled and dog team (or optionally can choose to share a sled one between two persons if you prefer). Overnight tour includes accommodation in cabin at the wilderness camp, which also has sauna facilities for the perfect end to the day!
Tours are suitable for adults or families (recommended min. age 6 years) - children will drive their own sled, share with an adult or travel as a passenger depending on age/size/strength and the tour chosen. You will be provided with thermal outer suit, warm boots, hats and gloves.
The landscape of frozen lakes and forests which surrounds the Kiruna area is perfect for dog sledding, with even the shorter tours bringing to you out into scenic areas where you can feel the power of the surrounding winter wilderness.
Option 1: Musher for a Day
Drive your own dogsled with team of 3-4 huskies on a day tour into the wilderness. General good health required. Guests who prefer to may choose to share a sled one between two persons and take turns driving, changing after lunch break (5-6 dogs per sled are used in this case). Children may drive own sled or share/travel as passenger depending on age/size/strength. Duration 4.5-5.5 hours including stop for hot lunch. Tours start with pick-up at local accommodation at 09.00 ending around 13.30-14.30.
Option 2: Dogsled Tour with Overnight in Wilderness Cabin
Drive your own dogsled with 3-4 huskies to your overnight accommodation at wilderness camp where sauna is included - a wonderful way to end a day's mushing, perhaps with the Northern Lights illuminating the night sky! General good health/fitness required. Guests can also opt to share a sled one per two persons (5-6 dogs per sled). Dinner and breakfast is included. Children may drive own sled or share/travel as passenger depending on age/size/strength. Tour starts with pick-up at local accommodation at 13.00 ending around 09.00-10.00 the following day after early breakfast. Typical sledding duration first day around 1.5-2 hours, around 1 hour second day, depending on weather/trail conditions.
Snowmobiling and Ice Fishing
Snowmobile tours (daytime or evening) and/or ice fishing are available to add as optional extra activities on your arrival/departure days.
If you would like additional nights in the area and/or extra activities on your arrival or departure days, our nearby Wilderness Cabin at the Reindeer Lodge and/or its optional winter activities (reindeer sledding, snowmobiling, Northern Lights) make an ideal combination.
As with all our dogsled tours, you will be involved in all aspects of the trip, and this is very much part of the experience. You will assist with caring for your dog team, including harnessing, feeding (and, yes, picking up poo!), as well as tasks around camp such as fetching water, chopping wood, preparing food, washing up, etc.
Snowmobile and ice fishing activities are also available to add as optional extras in connection with the start/end of your dogsled tour - see under "Dates and Prices" for details.
Musher for a Day:
Tours start with pick-up at local accommodation at 09.00.
Dogsled Tour with Overnight in Wilderness Cabin:
Tours start with pick-up at local accommodation or Kiruna airport/train station) at 13.00.
Musher for a Day:
Tour ends around 13.30-14.30, after which you will be transferred to your local accommodation Kiruna or to Kiruna train station/airport for departure.
Dogsled Tour with Overnight in Wilderness Cabin:
Tour ends around 09.00-10.00 after a short sled back to the kennels, after which you will be transferred to your local accommodation Kiruna or to Kiruna train station/airport for departure.
If doing an overnight tour, you should plan departure time from Kiruna no earlier than lunchtime. If you are adding ice fishing or snowmobiling as an optional activity on your departure day, you should plan departure time no earlier than 14.00.
- Not Included
Tours are offered daily between mid-November and late April*.
*The Northern Lights are visible from around September to early/mid April. The deep midwinter period of November-January offers the longest hours of darkness, which is of course required for the Northern Lights to be visible, while the "spring winter" of March and April offers longer hours of daylight and typically milder temperatures. The Northern Lights can be visible at any time during this period, including during March to mid-April. While March and April have shorter nights, on the other hand these months can also have a greater incidence of clear skies.
Prices are in British Pounds and Euros. If you wish, you are also welcome to make your payment in Swedish Kronor (SEK) - please contact us for details.
|Musher for a Day|
|Per adult (share sled)||GBP 162||EUR 183|
|Per child under 16 (share sled)||GBP 81||EUR 92|
|Per person (drive own sled*)||GBP 205||EUR 232|
|Dogsled Tour with Overnight in Wilderness Cabin|
|Per adult (share sled)||GBP 277||EUR 312|
|Per child under 16 (share sled)||GBP 139||EUR 156|
|Per person (drive own sled*)||GBP 348||EUR 393|
*Min. age to drive own sled 15 years. Please specify when booking whether you wish to share or drive own sled. Where guests share a sled, it is of course possible to change during the tour so that both persons have the opportunity to drive (in the case of children, possibility to drive will depend on age, size and strength and guide's discretion depending on conditions).
|Optional Extras per person (see description below)|
|Keep Warm package||GBP 97||EUR 104|
|Snowmobile daytime tour 2.5 hours (shared one per two persons)|
|Adult||GBP 115||EUR 124|
|Child under 16||GBP 58||EUR 62|
|Snowmobile daytime tour 3.5-4 hours (shared one per two persons)|
|Adult||GBP 156||EUR 168|
|Child under 16||GBP 78||EUR 84|
|Snowmobile evening tour 2.5 hours (shared one per two persons)|
|Adult||GBP 125||EUR 135|
|Child under 16||GBP 63||EUR 68|
|Snowmobile evening tour 3.5-4 hours (shared one per two persons)|
|Adult||GBP 167||EUR 180|
|Child under 16||GBP 84||EUR 90|
|Supplement to drive own snowmobile (all snowmobile tours)|
|Adult||GBP 53||EUR 57|
|Ice fishing 2-3 hours|
|Adult||GBP 89||EUR 96|
|Child under 12||GBP 45||EUR 48|
- Keep Warm package: Winter clothing package including base layer, micro-fleece, balaclava and woollen socks (note that this clothing is purchased, not hired, and is yours to keep). NB: Please provide height, weight and shoe size information when booking this option. Details »
- Snowmobile tours: Can be added as an extra activity in connection with the start/end of your dogsled tour. Daytime tours can be added on start day (2.5 hour tours only) or end day (2.5 hour or 3.5-4 hours tours) of Overnight dogsled tours only. Evening tours can be added for Musher for a Day tours only. Tour times are flexible subject to your travel arrangements and availability - please let us know your preference on booking. Solo travellers must choose drive own snowmobile option. Duration given is approx. total tour duration including initial instruction and breaks: 2.5 hour tours include snack/coffee, 3.5-4 hour tours include lunch (daytime) or dinner (evening). Evening tours give good possibilities to see Northern Lights if conditions are suitable. Min. age 10 years. Min. age to drive own snowmobile 18 years. Participants wishing to drive must hold full driving licence and be able to show licence locally.
- Ice fishing: Can be added as an extra activity for your arrival or departure day in connection with the start/end of your dogsled tour. Tour times are flexible subject to availability - please let us know your preference on booking. You will be taken by snowmobile to a suitable location for fishing on the river or nearby lake depending on ice conditions. Equipment is provided and you will have a short instruction meeting/coffee break with your guide. You will then be left to fish independently at the location and met again 2-3 hours later for return transfer. NB: This activity can be booked throughout the winter season, but may be most enjoyable if travelling during the later part of the winter (late February to April), when daylight hours are longer and temperatures typically milder.
- Option 1: Musher for a Day: Guests drive own sled or share one per two persons. Hot lunch.
- Option 2: Dogsled Tour with Overnight in Wilderness Cabin: Guests drive own sled or share one per two persons. Dinner, breakfast, sauna and shared sleeping accommodation. Standard of accommodation is simple (no running water or electricity) but cosy and comfortable. Cabins will typically have one or two sleeping rooms, each with bunk beds. The cabins are heated by wood-burning stoves and lit by candles, and water is drawn from nearby rivers and lakes. Everyone assists with camp duties such as chopping wood, fetching water and washing/tidying up. There may also be other persons staying at the overnight accommodation used during the overnight tour.
Equipment and Clothing:
- All necessary equipment during dog sledding tour.
- Warm winter clothing for all activities: snowscooter overalls, winter boots, hat, gloves, inner and outer socks.
(additional items such as long-johns may be available on request - please ask if there is a particular item of clothing or equipment you require)
- Instruction in harnessing and sled handling (for tours driving/sharing own sled).
- Services of local guide.
- Return transfer between Kiruna station, Kiruna airport or local accommodation in connection with the start/end of your tour.
- Travel: We do not arrange flights or domestic travel, but are happy to advise on suitable connections and assist you with any aspect of planning your journey. See under "Good to Know > Getting There" for general travel information.
- Alcoholic drinks.
"Keep Warm" winter clothing package including base layer, micro-fleece, balaclava and woollen socks: £86/person (note that this clothing is purchased, not hired, and is yours to keep). NB: Please provide height, weight and shoe size information when booking this option. Details »
- Getting There
- Combine This With
- Eco Info
You should have a general good level of health and enjoy the outdoors. Suitable for adults and families. Day and overnight tours will typically be suitable for children aged 6 and over.
No previous dog sledding experience is required.
If weight >95kg, please contact us to discuss suitability.
What makes this "Easy"?
As short tours, the level of challenge will be lower than multi-day tours in similar terrain and are suitable for wide range of participants, including families. As with any winter experience, weather/temperature/trail conditions can considerably influence the level of challenge. Choosing option to share sled will reduce overall level of challenge slightly compared to driving own sled.
NB: Perception of difficulty is very subjective. What is hard to one person may be easy for another and vice versa, depending on factors including level of fitness, age and previous experience. Weather conditions/temperatures can also dramatically affect the actual level of challenge encountered.
For information on any equipment and/or clothing included as standard for this experience, please see under "Dates and Prices > Included".
A detailed recommended packing list for personal items to bring will be sent with your booking documentation.
NB: We advise you not to buy equipment or clothes for your trip or to incur other non-refundable expenses such as flights until you have received confirmation of your booking from us in writing. Note of course that the most appropriate clothing to use as well as the level of challenge experienced during any outdoor activity may vary significantly depending on factors such as the time of year and the particular weather/temperature conditions during your trip.
A total of minimum 2 persons is required for scheduled tours to run. You are of course welcome to book as a solo traveller.
Detailed information on travel options to this experience will be provided in response to your enquiry. We are happy to advise on suitable connections and assist you with any aspect of planning your journey.
Please ensure that you make a booking with us first and wait for confirmation that your spaces are reserved before making any travel arrangements.
Fly to Stockholm then onward to Kiruna by night train or domestic flight connection. Transfer from Kiruna airport or train station is included.
Ferry Dover-Dunkirk or Newcastle-Amsterdam for onward train connections to Kiruna.
Combine This With
This experience makes a good combination with the following:
- Option 1: Musher for a Day: Max. six sleds + guide, i.e. 12 persons if all persons sharing sled or 6 persons if all driving own sled.
- Option 2: Dogsled Tour with Overnight in Wilderness Cabin: max. 6 persons + guide.
This experience is also available as a private experience for groups. For private tours, larger groups can be accommodated. Please contact us to discuss your requirements.
This provider has a detailed environmental policy and has received Swedish Tour Quality certification.
The sleds are made in a local workshop just 100m from the kennels, while many of the dogs' harnesses are sewn by a local family.
"The husky sledding was amazing and the people at the Reindeer Lodge were lovely." Tara, who combined Dogsled Tour with Overnight in Wilderness Cabin with a stay and snowmobile tour at the Reindeer Lodge, December 2017.
"All of the trip was excellent. I found everyone I spoke to very helpful. No question I had was too much trouble." Joanne, who combined a Musher for a Day dogsled tour with a stay and activities at Wilderness Cabin at the Reindeer Lodge in Lapland, April 2017
"The Musher for a Day husky trip was amazing. I loved the fact that we were given a good amount of time to drive the sled. It was great fun!" Karen, who combined a husky tour with stay and snowmobile tour at the Reindeer Lodge, March 2017