- Dates & Prices
- Good to Know
- Gallery & Reviews
This comfortable lodge in the far north of Swedish Lapland is the perfect base to enjoy the beauty of winter far inside the Arctic Circle. A selection of activities are available to add as optional extras for those seeking winter adventures, or alternatively simply take the time to relax on a romantic break and enjoy the winter wonderland landscape of the surrounding lakes and forests.
Located far from areas of light pollution in an area ideal for Aurora watching, Aurora Lodge Escape in Lapland gives very good chances to see the Northern Lights during your stay. On arrival you will receive information and advice for seeing the Aurora as well as hints and tips on photographing the Northern Lights, and will have daily updates during your stay on the latest Aurora activity forecast.
A variety of equipment is included for your use during your stay to explore the surrounding area on your own self-guided adventures:
- Snowshoes for self-guided tours in the surrounding area. You will be provided with trail maps and information to help you explore, giving you the flexibility to be as active (or lazy!) as you wish during your stay. There are about 30km of trails immediately accessible from the lodge. Note that there are no prepared tracks, but the snowshoes can be used both on standard trails and in fresh snow.
- Kicksleds (a traditional, easy and fun way for Swedes to get around in the winter!).
- Ice fishing equipment.
Sauna at the lodge is included each night, with the sauna building also having a cosy lounge with fireplace - for many guests travelling to the north in wintertime, the experience of a traditional Swedish sauna followed by (optional!) roll in the snow is one of their most enduring memories.
Accommodation is in private en-suite rooms for 2-4 persons, each with a view of the river Kalix. The lodge is also well-known for its cuisine and full board is included for your stay.
The following additional day activities are also available to book as optional extras:
- Husky Sledding: Drive your own dogsled (either shared one per two persons or own sled depending on preference) on a husky
adventure into the nearby Kaitum Nature Reserve.
- 2-hour tour: A great way to get a feel for the excitement of dog sledding.
- Day tour (around 5 hours): Travel further and have lunch out on the trail!
- Guided Snowshoeing: Snowshoeing is an ideal way to discover the winter landscape and access areas not easily reachable
in other ways. Choose between a 2-3 hour or 4-5 hour tour taking place in the forest surrounding the Lodge.
- 2-3 hour tour: Possible during daytime or evening (please specify when booking) starting directly from the Lodge. Evening tours can give good chances to see Northern Lights. Terrain is easy walking and the tour is suitable for participants with general good health, but can be more demanding if snow conditions are heavy.
- 4-5 hour tour: An extended version of the above.
- Snowmobile or Snowmobile + Ice Fishing Safari: The excitement and adventure of snowmobiling is often high on any visitor's list. Drive your own
snowmobile (shared one per two persons or own snowmobile depending on preference) on a 2-hour, 4-hour, or overnight tour. All tours offer possibility to see reindeer.
- 2-hour tour: An ideal introduction to snowmobiling.
- 4-hour tour: Choose Snowmobile only or combined Snowmobile + Ice Fishing.
- Overnight tour: Start 10.00 Day 1 end around 16.00 Day 2 with overnight accommodation in wilderness cabin.
- Nordic Wellness afternoon: Relax and soak up the atmosphere in the wood-heated sauna 30 mins' walk from the lodge at the nearby Wilderness Camp.
- Guided Icefishing: The lakes and rivers surrounding the lodge are rich in fish, and assistance from a local guide will greatly improve your chances of a catch!
- Ice Hotel visit: No trip to Lapland is complete without a visit to the world-famous Ice Hotel in Jukkasjärvi. Provided your departure arrangements allow suitable time, this tour is offered in connection with your departure transfer back to Kiruna. Guests choosing this option should plan to depart Kiruna airport or train station no earlier than 13.30.
You will be transferred from Kiruna airport or train station to the Lodge (transfer time approx. 1 hour).
Transfer to Kiruna airport or train station for departure.
- Not Included
Start days flexible by arrangement from 01.12.18 to latest departure 15.04.19*.
Minimum duration is normally 4 days/3 nights, but during peak periods (e.g. Christmas and New Year), stays may be restricted to longer periods. Please contact us to discuss your requirements.
*The Northern Lights are visible from around September to early/mid April. The deep midwinter period of November-January offers the longest hours of darkness, which is of course required for the Northern Lights to be visible, while the "spring winter" of March and April offers longer hours of daylight and typically milder temperatures. The Northern Lights can be visible at any time during this period, including during March to mid-April. While March and April have shorter nights, on the other hand these months can also have a greater incidence of clear skies.
Prices are in British Pounds and Euros. If you wish, you are also welcome to make your payment in Swedish Kronor (SEK) - please contact us for details.
Prices are based on 2 persons sharing, please see below for single supplement.
|Per adult 4 days/3 nights (based on 2 persons sharing)||GBP 585||EUR 660|
|Per child 4 days/3 nights (under 16, in parents' room)||GBP 468||EUR 528|
|Per adult 5 days/4 nights (based on 2 persons sharing)||GBP 749||EUR 846|
|Per child 5 days/4 nights (under 16, in parents' room)||GBP 599||EUR 677|
|Per adult 6 days/5 nights (based on 2 persons sharing)||GBP 909||EUR 1,026|
|Per child 6 days/5 nights (under 16, in parents' room)||GBP 727||EUR 821|
|Per adult 7 days/6 nights (based on 2 persons sharing)||GBP 1,061||EUR 1,198|
|Per child 7 days/6 nights (under 16, in parents' room)||GBP 849||EUR 958|
|Per adult 8 days/7 nights (based on 2 persons sharing)||GBP 1,213||EUR 1,370|
|Per child 8 days/7 nights (under 16, in parents' room)||GBP 971||EUR 1,096|
|Single supplement/person/night||GBP 53||EUR 60|
|Supplement for stays over Christmas or New Year/person/stay||GBP 58||EUR 65|
|Optional Extras (see description below)|
|Dog sledding 2 hours/person (share sled)||GBP 110||EUR 124|
|Dog sledding 2 hours/person (supplement to drive own sled)||GBP 58||EUR 65|
|Dog sledding day tour (5 hours)/person (share sled)||GBP 153||EUR 173|
|Dog sledding day tour (5 hours)/person (supplement to drive own sled)||GBP 86||EUR 97|
|Guided ice fishing 2-3 hours/person||GBP 56||EUR 63|
|Guided snowshoe tour 2-3 hours/person||GBP 56||EUR 63|
|Guided snowshoe tour 4-5 hours/person||GBP 94||EUR 106|
|Ice Hotel visit/person||GBP 75||EUR 84|
|Nordic wellness afternoon/person||GBP 40||EUR 45|
|Snowmobile tour 2 hours/person (share snowmobile)||GBP 110||EUR 124|
|Snowmobile 2 hours (supplement to drive own snowmobile)||GBP 58||EUR 65|
|Snowmobile tour 4-5 hours/person (share snowmobile)||GBP 153||EUR 173|
|Snowmobile tour 4-5 hours/person (supplement to drive own snowmobile)||GBP 86||EUR 97|
|Snowmobile+ Ice Fishing tour 4-5 hours/person (share snowmobile)||GBP 153||EUR 173|
|Snowmobile + Ice Fishing tour 4-5 hours/person (supplement to drive own snowmobile)||GBP 86||EUR 97|
|Snowmobile overnight tour (share snowmobile)||GBP 297||EUR 335|
|Snowmobile overnight tour (supplement to drive own snowmobile)||GBP 179||EUR 202|
Activities must be reserved in advance.
- Dog sledding*: Minimum age 12. Minimum age to drive own sled 16. When choosing shared sled, participants share sled one per two persons. Dogsled tour 5-6 hours includes lunch.
- Guided snowshoeing: Minimum age 12. 2-3 hour possible as daytime or evening tour - please specify on booking. Day tour includes lunch. All tours take place in the Lodge surroundings.
- Ice Hotel visit: On departure day (total 1.5-2 hours). Includes transfer to Ice Hotel, guided tour of the Ice Hotel (tour given by the person doing your transfer) and onward transfer to Kiruna or Kiruna airport after visit. Guests choosing this option must plan to depart Kiruna train station or airport no earlier than 13.30 on the departure day.
- Nordic wellness afternoon: Walk on trail to wilderness camp approx. 30 mins, wood-heated sauna is prepared in advance.
- Snowmobile tours*: Minimum age 12. Participants wishing to drive a snowmobile must hold full driving licence. When choosing shared snowmobile, participants share snowmobile one per two persons.
*On rare occasions when temperatures fall below -30 degrees C, dogsled and snowmobile tours may not take place for safety reasons. In this case, an alternative activity will be offered.
- Full board accommodation in private 2-4 person rooms with en-suite shower and WC. There are 8 rooms at the lodge in total.
- Sauna available each night.
Images below show typical bedroom, dining room, sauna building and lodge area:
Full board from dinner on arrival day to breakfast on departure day.
Equipment and Activities:
- Use of snowshoes, kicksleds and ice fishing equipment is included during your stay.
- Warm winter clothing (thermal outer suit, hats, gloves and boots)
- Information on Northern Lights/photography tips on arrival and daily activity forecast.
Communal transfer is included to/from Kiruna on arrival/departure (transfer time about one hour). Transfer times can be flexible to a certain extent depending on travel arrangements.
- Travel: We do not arrange flights or domestic travel, but are happy to advise on suitable connections and assist you with any aspect of planning your journey. See under "Good to Know > Getting There" for general travel information.
- Alcoholic drinks (available to purchase).
- Additional activities available to book as optional extras.
- Getting There
- Combine This With
- Eco Info
General good health. Minimum age 12 years.
What makes this "Easy-Medium"?
As a catered experience with full facilities, there is great flexibility to make your stay as relaxing or active as you wish. Any activities are optional, but most guests will choose at least some optional activities during their stay and level of challenge of these activities will vary.
NB: Perception of difficulty is very subjective. What is hard to one person may be easy for another and vice versa, depending on factors including level of fitness, age and previous experience. Weather conditions/temperatures can also dramatically affect the actual level of challenge encountered.
For information on any equipment and/or clothing included as standard for this experience, please see under "Dates and Prices > Included".
A detailed recommended packing list for personal items to bring will be sent with your booking documentation.
NB: We advise you not to buy equipment or clothes for your trip or to incur other non-refundable expenses such as flights until you have received confirmation of your booking from us in writing. Note of course that the most appropriate clothing to use as well as the level of challenge experienced during any outdoor activity may vary significantly depending on factors such as the time of year and the particular weather/temperature conditions during your trip.
Preparing for your trip:
For further reading, we also have a number of general information articles to get you ready for your trip, covering a wide variety of topics from what to do on a city break before/after your tour, advice on packing, eyewear for winter and considerations for female travellers.
While most commonly chosen by persons travelling with one or more companions, the Aurora Lodge Escape is also suitable for solo travellers. Note in this case that some optional activities may require a minimum total number of participants in order to be possible.
Detailed information on travel options to this experience will be provided in response to your enquiry. We are happy to advise on suitable connections and assist you with any aspect of planning your journey.
Please ensure that you make a booking with us first and wait for confirmation that your spaces are reserved before making any travel arrangements.
Fly to Stockholm then onward to Kiruna by night train or domestic flight connection. Transfer from Kiruna airport or train station is included. (If travelling by train to this experience, it is most convenient for your arrival to have pick-up transfer from Gällivare rather than Kiruna (the train reaches Gällivare approx. one hour before Kiruna), though pick-up from Kiruna is also possible. On departure, guests should always depart from Kiruna).
Ferry Dover-Dunkirk or Newcastle-Amsterdam for onward train connections as above.
Combine This With
This experience makes a good combination with the following:
- Discover Dog Sledding in Lapland (4 days, one hour by transfer)
- Dog Sledding and Winter Camping on the King's Trail (8 days, one hour by transfer)
- Husky Mountain Expedition in Lapland (8 or 12 days, one hour by transfer)
- Northern Lights Dog Sledding in Lapland (8 days, one hour by transfer)
- One-day and Overnight Husky Tours in Kiruna (1-2 days, one hour by transfer)
This experience is very suitable for groups. Please contact us to discuss your requirements.
This provider has a written environmental policy.
"We had a fantastic time and are very sad to be home! In fact we have coined a new phrase for our post-holiday blues - Un"Lappy". Many thanks for your help in organising the trip." Julia, March 2017
"[Pre-departure service] was spot on. Love that the service was tailored to suit our requirements. Dog sledding was amazing and provided a challenge but was thoroughly enjoyable as well. Beautiful views and quality activities. We had an amazing time and the organisation of the trip was flawless. Staff could not have been more helpful and the tour was excellent. The accommodation was good and exactly as described, the activities were well-delivered and the tour guides were brilliant. Highly recommend Nature Travels to others. My friend wants to book for next winter after seeing our pictures! Thank you for providing a memorable honeymoon." Emily, who combined a stay at the Aurora Lodge Escape in Lapland with Northern Lights Dog Sledding in Lapland, January 2017
"Snowmobiling was surprisingly my favorite. It was a perfect day under a rainbow sky and a personal tour with a wonderful guide." Terese, December 2016