- One of the world's best ski touring regions
- Private tour for small groups on flexible dates
- Tour level can be adapted for different abilities
- Optional sea fishing trip included
- Accommodation in comfortable apartments
- Boat used to access additional areas
A magical week of ski touring in the Arctic
Located 600km inside the Arctic Circle, the wild and remote Lyngen region is justly famous as one of the world's top destination for peak tours.
Private Alpine Ski Touring in Lyngen gives you the opportunity to tackle some of the area's many summits under the leadership of experienced, IVBV qualified mountain guides who have a passion for their craft and will ensure you have an unforgettable experience tailored to your level of experience and ability.
This is always a private tour - just your group and your guide - so level of challenge can be adapted to your needs and wishes. Photo: LOC.
Your base is the island of Uløya, 200km east of Tromsø. Uløya seems like it must have been created in the dreams of ski tourers. Here you'll find powder snow, beautiful mountains, stunning fjords, and more powder snow!
Thousand-metre peaks descend right to the fjord, with slopes of almost any angle, offering a choice of ski touring terrain that is both ideal for the novice and challenging for the expert.
A flexible itinerary adapted to suit you
There is a wide choice of ski touring routes available on the island itself, on the mainland and on neighbouring islands. Some tours start right from the door, while others are reached by vehicle or boat transfer.
If you're new to peak touring, this is the perfect opportunity to discover the adventure and challenge of this wonderful winter sport. Your guide will ensure that the tours are adapted to suit your level and of course will give you plenty of instruction and advice along the way to help improve your technique and confidence.
If you're already an experienced tourer, you'll be able to take full advantage of your guide's expert knowledge to further develop your skills and challenge yourself.
The remote mountains of Lyngen are a paradise for ski tourers. Photo: LOC.
Discover Uløya, the mainland and the Lyngen peninsula
The week features 6 days of guided ski adventures, with up to two boat trips included to access touring locations on the Lyngen peninsula. Peaks and areas you may visit include:
- Bløtinden (1142m), accessible right from the door
- Uløytinden (1114m)
- Kjelvagtinden (1104m)
- The 90km-long Lyngen Alps region
There are many tour options right from your accommodation base, but a boat is used to access even more possibilities. Photo: LOC.
If you'd like to try something different for a day (and maybe rest those tired muscles!), you can choose a sea fishing trip as an alternative to one of the day's ski tours, when you'll go in search of some of the area's mighty halibut - the current record is 77.6 kg!
You can also choose to add other winter activities such as dog sledding or snowmobiling to the week's itinerary (additional charge applies).
Comfortable accommodation and good food
During the week you will be staying in comfortable apartments with the peak of Blåtinden rising behind you and the majestic, sweeping fjord in front.
All meals are included, with breakfast and 2-course dinner served at base and packed lunch for each day's adventures.
In addition to your apartment accommodation, the ski touring centre has a communal building right by the water with panoramic glass wall - an ideal spot to relax in the evening after a hard day in the mountains, admiring the view of fjord and perhaps with the Northern Lights illuminating the night sky.
Relax beneath the Northern Lights or enjoy the long, long days of spring winter
This is the Arctic, where winter keeps its grip on the landscape far later than in the south. The earlier part of the ski touring season from February to early April gives very good possibiltiies to see the Northern Lights, while the later part of the season in April and May is the "spring winter", with long hours of daylight and typically milder temperatures. In fact, it hardly gets dark at all!
For tour dates up to early/mid-April, the Northern Lights may dance for you as an extra bonus to end the day! Photo: LOC.
Private Alpine Ski Touring in Lyngen is ideal for groups of minimum 3 persons, with price reductions available for groups of 5 or more. The experience is also possible for just 1-2 persons at additional charge.
For the ultimate winter adventure, the peaks of Lyngen are waiting for you. Will you answer their call?
NB: Depending on flight times and whether you choose to travel between Tromsø and the ski touring centre by transfer or public transport, it may be necessary to overnight in Tromsø before and/or after your tour, which is in any case a popular option. The city offers a range of attractions and additional winter activities.
As a private tour, the itinerary for this experience is very flexible. There are many different routes that can be chosen depending on weather and snow conditions and the group's level of fitness and experience. The area in which the tour takes place is very remote and conditions such as storms, avalanches, road closures due to extreme weather or even water shortages, which may affect the itinerary and accessibility of some route options. Information below is a general guide to some of the possible options for tours during the week.
Day 1: Arrival to Uløya
Private transfer or public transport (depending on option chosen) from Tromsø (approx. 4 hours) or Sørkjosen (approx. 1 hour) to the ski touring centre on the island of Uløya. If taking private transfer, transfer can be offered in connection with any scheduled flight arrival time to Tromsø or Sørkjosen.
Here you will check in to your comfortable apartment for your first night in the beautiful Lyngen region.
Days 2-7: Ski tours on Uløya, the mainland and the Lyngen peninsula
Each day your guide will choose a suitable route to showcase the best of this beautiful region, with tours adapted depending on the group's level of fitness and experience and on weather and snow conditions.
There are many possible tours to choose from. Vehicle is included for tours on the mainland, and also up to two tours using boat to access additional regions such as neighbouring islands and the Lyngen Alps.
Possible peaks you may visit include:
- Bløtinden (1142m), accessible right from the door
- Uløytinden (1114m)
- Kjelvagtinden (1104m)
- A boat trip to access the 90km-long Lyngen Alps region
- Many additional possibilities on the mainland
If you wish, a sea-fishing excursion can be offered as an alternative to one of the ski days, when you have a very good chance of catching dinner! It is not uncommon to catch 30kg of fish during a trip, but if you're lucky enough to beat the current record and catch a halibut weighing more than 77.6kg, you'll get a free bottle of wine!
Day 8: Departure
Your week of ski touring in the Lyngen region draws to a close. Breakfast followed by public transport or private transfer to Tromsø for onward travel. If taking private transfer, transfer can be offered in connection with any scheduled flight departure time from Tromsø.
NB: As a private tour, availability is very limited. We strongly recommend making arrangements as far in advance as possible.
Tour are possible from mid-February to mid-May.
Standard duration is Sunday-Sunday 8 days/7 nights (arrival + 6 days' activities + departure).
Shorter itineraries can also be arranged, for which other arrival or departure days may be possible. Please contact us for details and prices and to discuss your requirements.
|Per person (in group of 3 or 4 persons)||GBP|
|Per person (in group of 5 persons)||GBP|
|Per person (in group of 6 persons)||GBP|
|Per person (in group of 2 persons)||GBP|
NB: Ski and personal safety equipment is not included - please see "Optional extras".
Tours for groups larger than 6 persons are also possible. Please contact us to discuss your requirements.
|Optional Extras (see description below)|
|Return transfer from Tromsø (per group)||GBP|
|Return transfer from Sørkjosen (per group)||GBP|
|Ski package - boots, poles, skins, crampons (pay locally)*||NOK 2000|
|Boots (pay locally)*||NOK 1000|
|Shovel + probe (pay locally)*||NOK 800|
|Beacon + shovel + probe (pay locally)*||NOK 400|
|Snowshoes (pay locally)*||NOK 200/day, 1000/week|
|Backpack (pay locally)*||NOK 100|
|Goggles, helmet (per item, pay locally)*||NOK 100|
*Payment for ski and other equipment is made locally on arrival in NOK (Norwegian Krone). Cash or card are accepted.
- Return transfer from Tromsø: Tromso is approx. 4 hours from the ski touring centre with a number of flight connections. It is also a popular city to visit to extra night(s) before and/or after your trip, with a number of activities available. Price is for return transfer between Tromsø airport or town and the ski touring centre in connection with the start/end of your tour. Price is for groups up to max. 6 persons. Transfer for up to total max. 8 persons can be arranged for additional charge. Transfers can be offered in connection with any scheduled flights to/from Tromsø.
- Return transfer from Sørkjosen: Sørkjosen is approx. 1 hour from the ski touring centre. It is a small, regional airport with more limited flight connections compared to Tromsø. Price is for return transfer between Sørkjosen airport and the ski touring centre in connection with the start/end of your tour. Price is for groups up to max. 6 persons. Transfer for up to total max. 8 persons can be arranged for additional charge. Transfers can be offered in connection with any scheduled flights to/from Sørkjosen.
- Dog sledding: This is available as an additional activity during your stay at extra charge. Dogsled activity takes around 6 hours in total (including transport to/from the start point) with dogsled tour lasting approx. 3 hours, so there can still be time for another activity the same day. Participants drive own dogsled shared one per two persons.
- Ski equipment (skis, poles, skins, crampons): Skis used are top quality Majesty skis with ATK or Dynafit bindings.
Please provide height, weight and shoe size in advance. You are of course welcome to bring your own equipment for the tour - please contact us with details of your equipment in advance to confirm suitability.
- Boots: Hire of boots is available if you do not have your own. Please note that that range of sizes is limited - please advise shoe size in advance.
- Shovel + probe / Beacon + shovel + probe: This avalanche safety equipment is essential for each participant in the group and must be hired if you do not have your own.
- Snowshoes: Snowshoes are not used during the ski tours, but can be hired for additional activity if you wish.
- Backpack: A backpack of 30-40l with skis attachment is required for the tour and is available to hire if you do not have your own.
- Goggles, helmet: These items are not normally offered as standard hire equipment, as most guests will bring their own, but a limited number may be available on request if required.
What's Included »
Seven nighs in modern, comfortable apartment. There are three apartments that may be used as your accommodation base for the tour (see example images below). Which is used will depend on group size and availability.
- Apartment 1: Suitable for up to 4 persons in 2 x 2-person bedrooms. Area 80 sq.m. Living room with kitchen, bathroom with shower and sauna.
- Apartment 2: Suitable for 6-8 persons in 4 x 2-person bedrooms. Area 140 sq.m. Two levels with living room, kitchen, bathroom with shower and additional toilet. Sauna in separate building is available for use.
- Apartment 3: Suitable for 6-8 persons in 4 x 2-person bedrooms. Area 100 sq.m. Two levels with living room, dining room, kitchen, bathroom with sauna, and additional bathroom.
The apartments are situated just 50m from the water at the base of the mountain Blåtinden (1142m). All have traditional Norwegian wood-burning fireplace, TV, DVD and free wi-fi. There is a also a heated cellar for drying clothing and equipment.
There is a meeting/social room with kitchen located right by the water, where guests are welcome to congregate and relax by the fire. The room has a panoramic glass wall with view over the fjord, ideal for admiring the Northern Lights.
Example apartment accommodation for the tour. Photos: LOC.
Additional example apartment accommodation for the tour. Photos: LOC.
All meals are included from dinner on Day 1 to breakfast on Day 8. Breakfast and 2-course dinner are taken in building adjacent to the apartments. Lunch is packed lunch eaten during the days' activities. Snacks and fruit are also included.
Breakfast and dinner are served in an adjacent building. Photos: LOC.
Activities and Guiding:
- Services of experienced and qualified guide(s). Guides are IVBV qualified (International Federation of Mountain Guides Associations) and are well-known skiers and alpinists who know the region well. Your guides will choose the best tours for you depending on weather and snow conditions and your level of fitness and experience.
- 6 days of ski touring. Tours take place on the island of Uløya and on the mainland, and van with fuel (and any ferry costs) are included as necessary for local transfers for the tours. Up to two trips using boat to access ski routes on neighbouring islands and/or the Lyngen peninsula are included - boat, fuel and safety equipment is provided.
- Sea fishing activity including boat and all necessary equipment may be chosen as an alternative to one of the ski days.
- Local transfers when necessary by vehicle or boat between the ski touring centre and the start/end points of each day's tours. 7.5m and 8.5m modern 150HP aluminium boats are used.
- For guests travelling to the experience by public transport (rather than taking the private transfer from Tromsø), a ferry connection is required from the mainland to reach the island of Uløya. If you arrive after the last ferry has departed, boat transfer across to the ski touring centre is included. If ferries are available but the group would prefer to have private transfer, there is a charge of 500 NOK/group for the boat transfer.
- Travel: We do not arrange flights or domestic travel, but are happy to advise on suitable connections and assist you with any aspect of planning your journey. See under "Getting There" for general travel information.
- Ski and personal safety equipment: Can be hired as optional extra or you are welcome to bring your own. If wishing to bring own ski equipment, please contact us to confirm that your equipment is suitable.
- Alcoholic drinks - available to purchase at the ski touring centre.
Good To Know »
Recommended min. age 18. Younger participants may be possible by arrangement.
This experience will normally be chosen by participants with a good level of fitness and previous experience of downhill skiing and/or summit touring who wish to develop their skills in one of the world's top ski touring regions.
However, as a private experience, the tour can be made suitable for a wide range of levels, both in terms fitness and skiing ability. We recommend that to get the most out of your experience, you should have at minimum a general good level of fitness and experience of alpine skiing on pistes.
You will be sent a questionnaire to assess your level of ski touring experience and ability in advance of your tour to help your guide plan the most appropriate and enjoyable trip for you.
What makes this "Medium-Hard"?
As a private experience, this tour is very flexible. There are a number of route and tour options that can be chosen and the itinerary for the week will be adapted to suit the group's level of fitness and experience as well as weather and snow conditions.
The level of challenge will therefore vary considerably depending on the group and the tours chosen and may be from moderate to very challenging. However, all ski touring is physically demanding and you should be prepared for tiring ascents in a range of winter conditions.
NB: Perception of difficulty is very subjective. What is hard to one person may be easy for another and vice versa, depending on factors including level of fitness, age and previous experience. Weather conditions/temperatures can also dramatically affect the actual level of challenge encountered.
For information on any equipment and/or clothing included as standard for this experience, please see under "What's Included".
A detailed recommended packing list for personal items to bring will be sent with your booking documentation.
NB: We advise you not to buy equipment or clothes for your trip or to incur other non-refundable expenses such as flights until you have received confirmation of your booking from us in writing. Note of course that the most appropriate clothing to use as well as the level of challenge experienced during any outdoor activity may vary significantly depending on factors such as the time of year and the particular weather/temperature conditions during your trip.
Preparing for your trip:
For further reading, we also have a number of general information articles to get you ready for your trip, covering a wide variety of topics from what to do on a city break before/after your tour, advice on packing, eyewear for winter and considerations for female travellers.
As a private tour, no minimum number of persons is reuqired. Prices are given for group sizes of 2-6 persons. This experience is also possible as private tour for solo travellers for additional cost. Plesae contact us to discuss your requirments.
This is a private experience for small groups. Prices are given for group sizes up to 6 persons, which is the maximum group size for one guide, but larger groups are also possible using additional guide(s). Please contact us to discuss your requirements.
This provider has a written environmental policy.
Getting There »
See below for a summary of travel options. To learn more about how to travel to this experience, please get in touch!
Detailed information on travel will be provided in response to your enquiry. We are happy to advise on suitable connections and assist you with any aspect of planning your journey.
NB: Please ensure that you make a booking with us first and wait for confirmation that your spaces are reserved before making any travel arrangements.
Fly to Tromsø for public bus or private transfer (approx. 4 hours) or to Sørkjosen for private transfer (approx. 1 hour) to the island of Uløya.