- Very personal experience with just 2 rooms
- Special activities for Christmas and New Year
- Ideal for families even with young children
- Organic home-cooked food with flexible menus
- Horse-drawn sleigh rides in the forest
- Tobaganning, cross country skiing and ice fishing
Deep in the forests of Hälsingland the winters of fairytales are very much a reality: soft, thick snow carpeting and stilling the forest, ice lying thick across the lakes - and a crackling log fire to come home to after a day in the crisp winter air.
Winter Wonderland on a Forest farm allows you to rediscover the joy of a traditional winter family holiday in a personal and welcoming atmosphere. This is a unique and out-of-the ordinary experience for those who value peace, quiet and nature.
Horse-drawn sleigh rides with the farm's horse are one of the many activities ideal for families. Photo: LG.
There is a wide variety of activities to choose from, from cross-country skiing along endless forest tracks and quiet strolls in the hushed woodlands to horse-drawn sled rides through snow-clad forests. You can drill your own holes in the ice and fish for char, or borrow a "kick-sledge" and head out onto the ice of the forest lakes.
Depending on when you travel, possible winter activities are:
- Toboggan/kicksled/general "play in the snow" activities.
- Horse-drawn sleigh (available as optional extra or included for longer stays).
- Cross country skiing (equipment available to hire as optional extra).
- Ice fishing (guiding and equipment available as optional extra).
- Short dogsled tours (when conditions are suitable - normally requires car but transfer can also be arranged, kennels located approx. 90 mins' drive, booked directly with kennels).
- Visit to Järvzoo animal and nature park (approx. 40km from the farm), normally requires car but transfer can also be arranged.
The farm is a real "get-away-from-it-all" experience located deep in the forest. Photo: LG.
Lasse and Åsa have worked tirelessly over the last few years to restore this once-deserted farmhouse to its former glory: a living, breathing, working farm where traditional agricultural techniques are used which respect and enhance biodiversity. They have also created a wonderful, welcoming environment for couples or families to spend a magical time enjoying the delights of an old-fashioned winter holiday.
Åsa is a skilled farmhouse cook and food is a central feature of any stay at the forest farm. Food served at the farm is home-made, organic and prepared from local ingredients wherever possible - a traditional Swedish culinary experience with the flexibility to accommodate a wide range of dietary requirements.
Winter Wonderland on a Forest Farm is a marvellous experience ideal for those seeking a personal and welcoming winter holiday in the heart of the Swedish forest!
For guests arriving by public transport (normally in the afternoon), you will be met at Söderhamn station for transfer to the farm (approx. 50 mins). Transfer is available as an optional extra or is included for guests on longer stays.
For guests departing by public transport (normally after breakfast), you will be transferred to at Söderhamn station for transfer to the farm (approx. 50 mins). Transfer is available as an option extra or is included for guests on longer stays.
Check-out is normally latest 12.00 but can be flexible by arrangement depending on arrivals for other guests following your stay.
Start days any day by arrangement. There is normally snow at the farm from around mid-December until the end of March. Best snow usually mid-January to late March.
Prices are in British Pounds and Euros. If you wish, you are also welcome to make your payment in Swedish Kronor (SEK) - please contact us for details.
|1st night/adult (half board)||GBP 122||EUR 137|
|1st night/child 2-15 (half board)||GBP 61||EUR 68|
|Each extra night/adult (half board)||GBP 75||EUR 84|
|Each extra night/child 2-15 (half board)||GBP 38||EUR 42|
|1st night/adult (full board)||GBP 147||EUR 165|
|1st night/child 2-15 (full board)||GBP 73||EUR 82|
|Each extra night/adult (full board)||GBP 99||EUR 112|
|Each extra night/child 2-15 (full board)||GBP 50||EUR 56|
|Christmas and New Year stays (stays between 21st December and 3rd January are full board only)|
|1st night/adult (full board)||GBP 159||EUR 179|
|1st night/child 3-15 (full board)||GBP 80||EUR 90|
|Each extra night/adult (full board)||GBP 107||EUR 120|
|Each extra night/child 3-15 (full board)||GBP 54||EUR 60|
Half board = breakfast + dinner; Full board = all meals and snacks.
Child prices apply for children sharing parents' room. Children under 2 years stay and eat free of charge. The farm lies in a remote location with the nearest opportunity meals elsewhere approx. 30 minutes' drive away. Food at the farm is a central part of your experience and full board is by far the most popular option.
Christmas and New Year stays include extras as follows:
- Christmas (for stays between 23rd-26th December): Celebrate Christmas in the quiet of the deep forest and the intimate atmosphere of the forest farm. The price includes an excursion by horse and sleigh to collect the farm Christmas tree from the forest, traditional home-made Swedish Christmas cuisine, and small Christmas gifts made locally from natural materials (wood and flax). In the evening, relax in front of the fire as your hosts regale you with stories from the area, sipping glögg (Swedish mulled wine) and eating traditional Swedish snacks such as pepparkakor (pepper cookies), lussekatter (Lucia buns) and knäck (Swedish toffee).
- New Year (for stays betweeen 31st December and 3rd January): A traditional Swedish New Year celebration with your host and hostess in the heart of the forest, with 3-course New Year's Eve dinner, fireworks at midnight and a horse and sleigh ride in the winter darkness.
|Optional Activities (see description below)|
|Horse and sleigh or carriage tour/group (approx. 1 hour)||GBP 75||EUR 85|
|Horse and sleigh or carriage tour/group including meal out of doors||GBP 171||EUR 192|
|Ice fishing guiding/group (one hour)||GBP 63||EUR 71|
|Ice fishing equipment/person (fishing licence paid locally)||GBP 15||EUR 17|
|Cross country ski equipment/person/stay||GBP 15||EUR 17|
Note that depending on your choice of board option and length of stay, transfer and some activities may be included - please see "Included" for details.
Transfer from Söderhamn or Bollnäs if travelling by public transport: 500 SEK/transfer one-way (about £50) for up to 6 people. This should be booked in advance but paid locally (cash or cards) to your hosts on arrival.
- Ice Fishing: One hour's guiding required. Fishing licence 100 SEK (about £10)/person over 13 payable locally.
- Cross country ski equipment: Must be booked in advance, please provide information on shoe sizes. Skiing is self-guided, but your local hosts will be happy to give some general guidance on basic technique and suggest suitable areas to explore, etc.
- Horse riding and dog sledding day tours can also be arranged in the local area. Please contact us for details and prices.
- If you have a car, the Järvzoo animal and nature park (approx. 40km from the farm) is well worth a visit. A boardwalk of approx. 3km, the longest in Europe, offers an ideal way to view the animals. Järvzoo focuses exclusively on Scandinavian species, with living habitat as close as possible to the animals' natural surroundings. Animals include lynx, wolf, arctic fox, brown bear and moose.
What's Included »
The accommodation on the farm consists of 2 rooms which share toilet/shower and TV/recreation room.
One room has two beds (which can be double or twin) + two single beds. One room has two beds (which can be double or twin) + bed sofa.
Each room can normally accommodate up to four persons (in one room, an additional bed can be added to accommodate a family of 5).
Families can also choose to have children in own room (charged at adult rate), giving the family exclusive use of the living and bathroom facilities.
Bed linen and towels are provided.
Bedroom, shared living area and dining area
Meals (+ activities/transfers for longer stays):
Food served at the farm is home-made, organic and prepared from local ingredients wherever possible.
- Half board: Breakfast and one meal/day (main course with coffee and cake). Additional meals/snacks can be purchased on site.
- Full board: Breakfast, lunch and 2-course dinner (main course with dessert), snacks during the day.
- Full board for 3 nights or more: As above plus one 3-course dinner and horse and sleigh/carriage ride with outside meal.
- Full board for 5 nights or more: As above plus free transfer to/from Söderhamn (normal cost 500 SEK, around £50, one-way).
Kick-sleds and toboggans are available to borrow from your hosts.
- Travel: We do not arrange flights or domestic travel, but are happy to advise on suitable connections and assist you with any aspect of planning your journey. See under "Getting There" for general travel information.
- Alcoholic drinks.
Good To Know »
Good general health. Suitable both for adults and families and ideal for children.
What makes this "Easy"?
As a catered/hosted experience, there is great flexibility to make your stay as relaxing or active as you wish, but any activities are optional. Level of challenge of activities will vary.
NB: Perception of difficulty is very subjective. What is hard to one person may be easy for another and vice versa, depending on factors including level of fitness, age and previous experience. Weather conditions/temperatures can also dramatically affect the actual level of challenge encountered.
For information on any equipment and/or clothing included as standard for this experience, please see under "What's Included".
A detailed recommended packing list for personal items to bring will be sent with your booking documentation.
NB: We advise you not to buy equipment or clothes for your trip or to incur other non-refundable expenses such as flights until you have received confirmation of your booking from us in writing. Note of course that the most appropriate clothing to use as well as the level of challenge experienced during any outdoor activity may vary significantly depending on factors such as the time of year and the particular weather/temperature conditions during your trip.
Preparing for your trip:
For further reading, we also have a number of general information articles to get you ready for your trip, covering a wide variety of topics from what to do on a city break before/after your tour, advice on packing, eyewear for winter and considerations for female travellers.
Groups of up to 8-10 persons (e.g. 2 families of 2 adults with 2-3 children) can be accommodated in the two rooms at the forest farm.
Food served at the farm is locally-produced and organic as far as possible and this experience offers a very personal atmosphere. The farm is run using traditional farming techniques. This host has received a prestigious Swedish Ecotourism award for commitment to high standards to cultural and environmental sensitivity.
Getting There »
Detailed information on travel options to this experience will be provided in response to your enquiry. We are happy to advise on suitable connections and assist you with any aspect of planning your journey.
Please ensure that you make a booking with us first and wait for confirmation that your spaces are reserved before making any travel arrangements.
Fly to Stockholm for onward travel by train to Söderhamn (travel time around 2-2.5 hours), from where transfer is available as an optional extra or is included for guests staying a number of nights on full board.
Ferry Dover-Dunkirk or Newcastle-Amsterdam for onward train connections to Söderhamn.
Gallery & Reviews »
"We had a fantastic holiday - one of the best! Åsa and Lasse were excellent hosts. They work so hard, but make everything appear effortless, and nothing was too much trouble for them. Everyone at Nature Travels made it such an easy experience too...answering any questions we had quickly and efficiently. Definitely a 5 star rating!!" Andrea, February 2018
"[Pre-departure information] was very comprehensive. Kit list very practical and useful. Our favourite activity was the cross country skiing. The whole family could ski together with no previous experience needed. There was a huge amount of snow and Lasse was kind enough to go out and make tracks for us in the meadow and in the forest. We all had a fantastic time and it was everything we hoped for. Åsa and Lasse were fantastic hosts and made us feel at home. The food was amazing and we loved trying Swedish dishes. It was great talking to Åsa and learning more about Sweden. Åsa said she liked to think of our visit as being 'like a stay with Grandma' which it definitely was." Dan, February 2018
"We loved it all! Wonderful location, lovely hosts, great food. Being able to toboggan from right outside the door...and a one-horse open sleigh ride to get the Christmas tree on Christmas Eve! Amazing...the campfire was also great fun." Rachel, Christmas 2017