- Weekend itinerary Friday-Sunday
- Guided kayak tour with overnight camping
- Transfers from Helsinki included
- Hotel night on arrival included
- No kayaking experience required
- Just 40 mins from Helsinki
Beginning just 40 minutes from Helsinki city, Weekend Kayaking in the Helsinki Archipelago is the ideal option to discover the beauty of this coastal island network in combination with a visit to Helsinki or with one of our other experiences in Finland.
The experience is total 3 days/2 nights (Friday-Sunday with kayak tour Saturday-Sunday) and includes return airport transfers between Helsinki airport and the kayak centre and overnight accommodation in local hotel on the waterfront near the kayak centre on Friday night.
The trip features two days of kayaking with overnight camping on an island. Photo: NV.
In addition to scheduled tour dates, for groups of min. 4 persons private tours are also possible on other dates by arrangement. Private tours can be 3 days/2 nights (Tour + Hotel/airport transfers) as per scheduled dates or 2 days/1 night (Tour Only). In addition, private tours can be either standard duration or be extended with one or more days' kayaking and camping.
All kayaking and camping equipment is provided. Beginning directly from the kayak centre in the morning at 10.00, you paddle out among some of the hundreds of islands that make up this archipelago area, with the intention of covering approx. 20-25km over the weekend.
The focus is on taking it easy and making the most of the archipelago landscape. You will make regular stops on islands along the way before reaching an island to pitch camp for the night, spending the evening around the fire before retiring for your night under canvas beneath the archipelago skies.
The tour is ideal for beginners as well as paddlers with some experience. Photo: NV.
The following day, you continue your trip, heading for home and reaching the kayak centre around 14.00.
Weekend Kayaking in the Helsinki Archipelago is suitable for a wide range of participants. Scheduled tours are ideal for solo travellers, couples or those travelling with friends, while groups of 4 or more persons have the flexibility to extend the tour duration and level of challenge if desired.
Scheduled Tours (3 days/2 nights): Tour + Hotel
NB: If you are staying in Helsinki for additional nights before and/or after the tour, transfer can be offered to/from accommodation in Helsinki city centre in connection with your tour as an alternative to the airport.
Transfer from Helsinki Vantaa airport leaves at 17.30, connecting with flights arriving latest 17.00.
You will be transferred to your hotel accommodation for the night (transfer time approx. 30 mins). The hotel is located on the waterfront just a few hundred metres from the kayak centre.
NB: Note that dinner at the hotel is not included. Dinner is available to purchase locally.
Saturday and Sunday (kayak tour)
Breakfast at the hotel followed by transfer at 09.00 to the kayak centre. Please bring your luggage with you for storage at the kayak centre during your trip.
You prepare the equipment for the tour and, when ready, paddle out into the network of islands to spend the day exploring the archipelago, with regular stops. In the evening, you make camp on an island for dinner around the fire.
Next day, after breakfast and optional morning dip, you continue your kayak tour, heading back towards the start point.
On Sunday, you will be back at the kayak centre by 14.00, where you organise your equipment and packing before transfer to Helsinki airport (or central Helsinki if staying there after your tour). You should plan flight departure no earlier than 17.00.
Private Tours: Tour + Hotel or Tour Only
Private tours are offered on flexible dates by arrangement for min. 4 persons.
Tour + Hotel
Itinerary as for Scheduled Tours, but start dates flexible and can be extended with one or more days' kayaking and camping.
If choosing this option rather than Tour + Hotel, you will make own arrangements for accommodation in Helsinki on Friday night and travel to the kayak centre on Saturday morning.
Tours begin at the kayak centre at 10.00 on Saturday.
You paddle out into the network of islands to spend the day exploring the archipelago, with regular stops. In the evening, you make camp on an island for dinner around the fire.
After breakfast and optional morning dip, you continue your kayak tour, heading back towards the start point to end reach the kayak centre latest 14.00 on Sunday.
Scheduled Tours (3 days/2 nights): 24.05-26.05.19, 28.06-30.06.19, 05.07-07.07.19, 19.07-21.07.19, 26.07-28.07.19, 02.08-04.08.19, 09.08-11.08.19, 16.08-18.08.19, 23.08-25.08.19, 30.08-01.09.19
Private tours are possible on dates by arrangement from 1st May to 30th September for groups of min. 4 persons. Private tours can be Tour + Hotel (3 days/2 nights) as per scheduled tour dates, or can be Tour Only (2 days/1 night or longer duration on request). Please contact us to discuss your requirements and for prices for Tour Only option for private tours.
|Standard Prices (per person)|
|Scheduled or Private Tours (Tour + Hotel): 3 days/2 nights||GBP 480||EUR 499|
As standard, solo travellers (or odd-numbered persons in a group) will share room and tent with same gender participant on hotel and tent nights (where there is no other same gender participant on the tour, this person will have single occupancy hotel room and tent at no extra cost). If you wish to guarantee own room and own tent, this is possible for additional single supplement - please contact us for details and prices.
Private tours can be offered on dates by arrangement at standard prices for groups of min. 4 persons. Private tours can be Tour + Hotel (3 days/2 nights) as per scheduled tour dates, or can be Tour Only (2 days/1 night or longer duration on request). Please contact us to discuss your requirements and for prices for Tour Only option for private tours.
What's Included »
- Sea kayak with all necessary equipment including paddles, spray skirt and buoyancy aid. Single kayaks are provided as standard. Double kayaks are also available on request for participants travelling as even number (2, 4 persons, etc). Please provide height and weight for all participants in advance.
- All camping and cooking equipment: tent (shared one per two persons), sleeping bag (please bring own liner if required - the bags are washed after each use), sleeping mat and cooking equipment (inc. camping plate/mug/cutlery).
- Dry bags (number provided as required).
- Wetsuit (available to borrow on request - please advise in advance).
- Scheduled Tours (also Private Tours if choosing Tour + Hotel): One night's accommodation twin/double rooms (please specify preference on booking) with en-suite WC/shower in waterfront hotel near the kayak centre. Accommodation is in twin/double rooms with WC/shower. Unless single supplement has been added as an optional extra, solo travellers (or odd-numbered persons in a group) will share room and tent with same gender participant on hotel and tent nights (where there is no other same gender participant on the tour, this person will have single occupancy hotel room and tent at no extra cost). Breakfast on Saturday is included. NB: Dinner on Friday is not included (available to purchase locally).
- Wild camping. You will be camping on a fairly remote island with no facilities (dry outside toilet may be available - your guide will give information on toilet arrangements for the tour). A range of tents may be used, normally 2 persons per tent. Solo travellers will normally share tent with other participant of the same gender.
Hotel accommodation before the tour
- Scheduled Tours (also Private Tours if choosing Tour + Hotel): Breakfast at hotel on Saturday.
- Lunch and dinner Day 1 of kayak tour (Saturday for Scheduled Tours), breakfast and lunch Day 2 of kayak tour (Sunday for Scheduled Tours). Please advise any dietary requirements in advance.
- Services of local guide.
- Scheduled Tours (also Private Tours if choosing Tour + Hotel): Transfers Helsinki Vaanta airport (or central Helsinki) to hotel on Friday and from kayak centre to airport (or central Helsinki) on Sunday at fixed times as per itinerary.
- Travel: We do not arrange flights or domestic travel, but are happy to advise on suitable connections and assist you with any aspect of planning your journey. See under "Getting There" for general travel information.
- Alcoholic drinks.
Good To Know »
This tour is suitable for beginners and no previous experience is required. Distance covered on a 2-day/1-night tour is typically around 20-25km. You should have a good general level of fitness and enjoy the outdoors/camping.
Swimming ability required. Min. age 15 years (using single kayak if previous experience or double kayak if limited experience) for scheduled tours, 10 years (using double kayak) for private tours.
What makes this "Easy"?
As a guided tour, you will have the services of a local guide during the trip and all equipment is provided. There are no significant tides/currents in the Baltic, but in windy conditions the water can be choppy.
For private tours and tours of longer duration, level of challenge may be higher.
NB: Perception of difficulty is very subjective. What is hard to one person may be easy for another and vice versa, depending on factors including level of fitness, age and previous experience. Weather conditions/temperatures can also dramatically affect the actual level of challenge encountered.
Scheduled tours have no required minimum. Tours are guaranteed to run from the first booking. You are of course welcome to book as a solo traveller.
Ticks and TBE:
Note: Ticks occur mostly in grassy areas.
As in the UK and other areas, there are ticks in the Nordic forests which can carry diseases such as Borrelia. You should check for ticks at the end of a day in the outdoors. If you find a tick, remove it as soon as possible by pulling the tick out straight, carefully and slowly, with the tweezers as close to the skin as possible. Ensure that you do not leave any of the insect's mouth parts attached to your skin. Wash the bite area with soap and water. In the unlikely event that you feel unwell or notice anything unusual around the area of the bite in the coming days, consult your doctor.
As in large areas of mainland Europe, in some small, localised areas of the Nordic countries (mostly in the Stockholm Archipelago), the ticks are known to carry TBE, or Tick-borne encephalitis, and locals spending extended periods in affected areas often choose to vaccinate themselves. For more information and latest updates, please see Tick Alert. For current advice on TBE and inoculations for the area you are visiting, please consult your doctor or see Travel Health Pro. You can also see a map showing areas where cases were reported in 2016.
For information on any equipment and/or clothing included as standard for this experience, please see under "What's Included".
A detailed recommended packing list for personal items to bring will be sent with your booking documentation.
NB: We advise you not to buy equipment or clothes for your trip or to incur other non-refundable expenses such as flights until you have received confirmation of your booking from us in writing. Note of course that the most appropriate clothing to use as well as the level of challenge experienced during any outdoor activity may vary significantly depending on factors such as the time of year and the particular weather/temperature conditions during your trip.
Preparing for your trip:
For further reading, we also have a number of general information articles to get you ready for your trip, covering a wide variety of topics from what to do on a city break before/after your tour, advice on packing, eyewear for winter and considerations for female travellers.
Combine This With
This experience makes a good combination with any of our other summer experiences in Finland, as you will need to travel via Helsinki to reach these.
Max. group size for scheduled tours 8 persons. For private tours, up to 16 persons can be accommodated.
This provider has a written environmental policy.
Getting There »
Detailed information on travel options to this experience will be provided in response to your enquiry. We are happy to advise on suitable connections and assist you with any aspect of planning your journey.
Please ensure that you make a booking with us first and wait for confirmation that your spaces are reserved before making any travel arrangements.
Fly to Helsinki. For Scheduled Tours (also Private Tours if choosing Tour + Hotel), transfer from/to Helsinki Vantaa airport (or central Helsinki if staying additional nights locally) is included at fixed times. For Private Tours choosing Tour Only option, from Helsinki airport or city, take metro or train + bus to Rastila (approx. 40 mins from Helsinki city or 1 hour 20 mins from Helsinki Vantaa airport), from where it is about 20 mins on foot or by bus + short walk to the kayak centre.