Easily-accessible from Sweden's capital, the Stockholm Archipelago can nevertheless feel a world away from the city. Ideal for those wishing to combine a kayak tour with a city visit or with one of our other outdoor activities in the area, or if you are looking for a short outdoor getaway with minimal travel time, Overnight Sea Kayaking in the Stockholm Archipelago offers two full days of guided paddling among the beautiful forested islands of the Middle Archipelago.
No previous kayaking experience is required and the tour is suitable for beginners as well as those with some experience. Single kayaks are used as standard, with double kayaks available on request.
You will need to overnight in Stockholm the night before, meeting at the kayak centre at 10.00 on the start day to begin your adventure. During the tour you will have an opportunity to get paddle tips from your guide to improve your technique and to learn about the natural history of the archipelago. This area is home to White-tailed Sea Eagles and Ospreys and with luck you may see these magnificent birds on the tour.
The route taken will depend on wind and weather conditions - the nature of the archipelago landscape means that there are a number of possible options to take advantage of the best conditions. In the evening you will choose a suitable island to make camp, preparing your food together under the stars. An evening dip in the archipelago waters can be the perfect ending to a day's paddling - the water of the Baltic is only slightly brackish and ideal for a refreshing swim!
Next morning you break camp and take to the water once more for a day's kayaking, stopping for lunch along the way and ending back at the kayak centre around 17.00.
Suitable for solo travellers or those travelling with one or more companions, Overnight Sea Kayaking in the Stockholm Archipelago is a wonderful introduction to the paddling opportunities available in the archipelago region.
The tour begins from the kayak centre at 10.00. After introductory meeting, you will pack the kayaks and take to the water. You stop for lunch and make camp on a suitable island in the evening. Everyone assists with tasks around camp such as preparing meals, washing up, and setting up camp.
After breakfast, you pack the kayaks and continue your tour with another day's paddling. You will be back at the kayak centre for tour end around 17.00.
- 10.07-11.07.18. 21.07-22.07.18, 24.07-25.07.18
- 11.08-12.08.18, 21.08-22.08.18
Private tours on other dates (subject to availability) can be offered at standard prices for groups of min. 3 persons. For private tours, longer durations are also possible. Please contact us to discuss your requirements.
Prices are in British Pounds and Euros. If you wish, you are also welcome to make your payment in Swedish Kronor (SEK) - please contact us for details.
|Per person||GBP 410||EUR 460|
|Optional Extras (see description below)|
|Sleeping bag||GBP 46||EUR 52|
- Sleeping bag and liner: Guests are normally recommended to bring own sleeping bag and liner, but these are also available to hire if required.
What's Included »
- Sea kayak and all necessary equipment including paddles, buoyancy aid and splash skirt, map case with map and compass. Necky kayaks are used, normally Looksha 17 and Eliza for single kayaks and Looksha T for double kayaks. Single kayaks are used as standard for all persons. Double kayaks are available on request (for guests booking as 2, 4 persons, etc - please specify on booking if you would like double kayak.
- Tent: two participants per 3-person tent. Solo travellers will share tent with other same gender participant or have own tent if there is no other same gender participant in the group.
- Cooking and eating utensils. Everyone assists with preparation of meals and tasks around camp, etc.
- Two 20 litre waterproof storage bags per person.
- Foam sleeping mat. Please bring own sleeping bag and liner (unless hired as optional extra).
- Lunch and dinner Day 1, breakfast and lunch Day 2. Drinking water is also provided. You may wish to bring additional snacks for additional energy when paddling, etc.
- Travel: We do not arrange flights or domestic travel, but are happy to advise on suitable connections and assist you with any aspect of planning your journey. See under "Getting There" for general travel information.
- Sleeping bag and liner: We recommend you bring own sleeping bag and liner (packed in waterproof bag) for the tour, but this can also be hired as optional extra.
Good To Know »
You must be able to swim and enjoy the outdoors. No previous experience of kayaking is required.
Minimim age for scheduled tour 16 years. For private tours on other dates, younger participants are welcome by arrangement.
The tour is suitable for both novice and more experienced kayakers (participants with previous experience should be aware that the level of the tour will be adapted to meet the needs of the least experienced guests).
What makes this "Easy"?
The tour is guided and the nature of the archipelago means that the route taken, distance covered and level of challenge is very flexible depending on wind and weather conditions. To a certain extent the tour can be adapted depending on the level of the group.
NB: Perception of difficulty is very subjective. What is hard to one person may be easy for another and vice versa, depending on factors including level of fitness, age and previous experience. Weather conditions/temperatures can also dramatically affect the actual level of challenge encountered.
Ticks and TBE:
Note: Ticks occur mostly in grassy areas.
As in the UK and other areas, there are ticks in the Nordic forests which can carry diseases such as Borrelia. You should check for ticks at the end of a day in the outdoors. If you find a tick, remove it as soon as possible by pulling the tick out straight, carefully and slowly, with the tweezers as close to the skin as possible. Ensure that you do not leave any of the insect's mouth parts attached to your skin. Wash the bite area with soap and water. In the unlikely event that you feel unwell or notice anything unusual around the area of the bite in the coming days, consult your doctor.
As in large areas of mainland Europe, in some small, localised areas of the Nordic countries (mostly in the Stockholm Archipelago), the ticks are known to carry TBE, or Tick-borne encephalitis, and locals spending extended periods in affected areas often choose to vaccinate themselves. For more information and latest updates, please see Tick Alert. For current advice on TBE and inoculations for the area you are visiting, please consult your doctor or see Travel Health Pro. You can also see a map showing areas where cases were reported in 2016.
For information on any equipment and/or clothing included as standard for this experience, please see under "What's Included".
A detailed recommended packing list for personal items to bring will be sent with your booking documentation.
NB: We advise you not to buy equipment or clothes for your trip or to incur other non-refundable expenses such as flights until you have received confirmation of your booking from us in writing. Note of course that the most appropriate clothing to use as well as the level of challenge experienced during any outdoor activity may vary significantly depending on factors such as the time of year and the particular weather/temperature conditions during your trip.
Preparing for your trip:
For further reading, we also have a number of general information articles to get you ready for your trip, covering a wide variety of topics from what to do on a city break before/after your tour, advice on packing, eyewear for winter and considerations for female travellers.
No minimum. Tours are guaranteed to run from the first booking.
Combine This With
This experience makes a good combination with the following:
- Hike, Bike and Paddle Stockholm's Lakes and Islands (4 or 5 days, start/end Stockholm)
- Hike and Bike in the Stockholm Archipelago (4 days, start/end Stockholm)
- Island Hopping and Hiking in the Stockholm Archipelago (6 days, start/end Stockholm)
- Sailing in the Stockholm Archipelago (3 or more days, one hour from Stockholm)
Max. group size for scheduled tours 6 persons. For private tours, larger groups may be possible. Please contact us to discuss your requirements.
This provider has a written environmental policy.
Getting There »
Detailed information on travel options to this experience will be provided in response to your enquiry. We are happy to advise on suitable connections and assist you with any aspect of planning your journey.
Please ensure that you make a booking with us first and wait for confirmation that your spaces are reserved before making any travel arrangements.
Fly to Stockholm. Travel by public bus from central Stockholm to Sunds Gård (approx. 40-60 mins) from where it is just over 2km on foot to the kayak centre (taxi is also possible as an alternative).
Ferry Dover-Dunkirk or Newcastle-Amsterdam for onward train connections to Stockholm.