- Beautiful, varied west coast landscape
- Hotel or wild camping options
- Equipment included for camping option
- Stand-alone tour or combine with kayaking
- Daily minimum distances can be extended
- Long hiking season April-October
A walking tour to combine with a kayak adventure or as a stand-alone trip
Self-guided Hiking on the Bohuslän Coast begins from the attractive, traditional seaside area of Gustafsberg. Over 2 or 3 days you will hike south along the coast, taking in an undulating rural landscape with inspiring views across Havstensfjord and the islands of the Bohuslän archipelago.
The tour ideal as a stand-alone activity or as a wonderful extension if you are doing one of our kayak tours in the area.
The trail takes you through a varied coastal landscape. Photo: J. Hermansson.
2-day or 3-day itineraries with a choice of wild camping or hotel accommodation
Bohuslän on Sweden's west coast not only offers some of the country's best sea kayaking, but also a coastal landscape perfect for exploring on foot.
Choosing the 3-day itinerary gives you time to turn inland to do a circular trail exploring the area around the lake of Skarsjön.
Your tour ends on the coast at Lyckorna, just outside Ljungskile, where you will be met for transfer back to the start point.
There are two options available, both following the same route:
- Option 1 - Wild Camping: For extra adventure and flexibility, take advantage of Sweden's wonderful Right of Public Access to camp wild along the way. This also gives you the flexibility to vary daily distance if you wish to hike more on one day and less on another. For this option, rucksack as well as full camping and cooking equipment (except sleeping bag) is included.
- Option 2 - Hotel: For those who like a soft bed at the end of a day on the trail (or if you are travelling early/late in the season and don't wish to camp in cooler conditions), this option allows you to hike with a lighter pack during the day and includes hotel-standard accommodation in 2-person rooms (single occupancy available for solo supplement). Breakfast is included and dinner on Day 1 is also included.
The 3-day itinerary gives you the time to also discover the countryside further inland. Photo: J. Hermansson.
Detailed information included to make the most of your hike
You will be given full information to help you along the way and maximise your enjoyment of the trip, including map, route description and suggestions for things to see and places to camp.
Daily distances are around 15km, making this tour accessible to a very wide range of participants. Those wishing to increase the level of challenge can vary the route to cover additional distance.
NB: Please note that it is not possible to start this experience later than 09.00. You will need to arrive in Sweden the day before to overnight locally before your tour.
Meet at the start point in Gustafsberg, approx. 3km outside Uddevalla, at 09.00 for introduction and information for the tour.
You begin hiking from the historic seaside area of Gustafsberg with its lovely natural surroundings, hiking southwest towards the Havstensfjord area and turning south along the coast.
Over the next 2-3 days, you will be walking in a beautiful and varied landscape, along sandy beaches, over hills, through meadows and forests and past pretty coastal settlements.
If you have chosen the hotel accommodation option, your goal for day is a lovely seaside conference hotel overlooking a wide, sweeping bay to the north and islands in the waters of Havstensfjord to the west.
If you are camping, daily distance and overnight location is flexible and you will have a choice of spots for wild camping.
Your hiking tour along the coast continues. If you are ending your tour today, you will hike to the end point at Lyckorna, just outside the coastal town of Ljungskile. We recommend lunch at the Mussel Bar there (not included) as a lovely end to your trip while you wait for pick-up at 15.00 for return transfer (about 20 mins) to the hiking centre for onward travel.
If you are doing the 3-day tour, hotel guests will stay this night in Ljungskile in conference hotel just a couple of hundred metres from the water, while camping guests have the flexibility and adventure of wild camping for the night!
You have time to discover a beautiful inland forested landscape, as you hike east on a circular route to the lake at Skarsjön before turning back towards the coast to end at Lyckorna for pick-up at 15.00 as per 2-day itinerary above.
NB: It is not possible to offer pick-up earlier than the standard time of 15.00. If travelling by public transport and wishing to return to Gothenburg that evening, you would then be back in central Gothenburg typically by around 20.00 at the earliest. We recommend that you plan to overnight in Gothenburg or Uddevalla after your tour.
Start/end any day by arrangement between 01.04 and 31.10.20 NB: No starts/ends 19.06 or 20.06.20, though tours are possible spanning these dates.
The experience begins at 09.00 on the start day and ends with pick-up at the end point at 15.00 on the end day.
Prices are in British Pounds and Euros. If you wish, you are also welcome to make your payment in Swedish Kronor (SEK) - please contact us for details.
|Standard Prices (per person)|
|Option 1: Wild Camping|
|2 days/1 night||GBP||EUR|
|3 days/2 nights||GBP||EUR|
|Option 2: Hotel|
|2 days/1 night||GBP||EUR|
|3 days/2 nights||GBP||EUR|
|Single supplement (for odd-numbered person in group, per night)||GBP||EUR|
What's Included »
Option 1: Camping
- Camping equipment and backpack: Backpack (size 50-75L depending on requirements), high quality Vaude tent (supplied one per two persons), sleeping mattress (Thermarest inflatable), camping chair adaptor for Thermarest, cooking stove (Trangia-style gas stove), camping gas, meal kit (Light My Fire), toilet spade. NB: Please note that sleeping bag is not included - please bring own bag.
Option 2: Hotel
- Accommodation: 1 or 2 nights' accommodation in 2-person room in hotel as per itinerary. Solo occupancy is available on request for single supplement. NB: Sauna is available for use by guests at both hotels and is included, but must be ordered in advance. Please let us know on booking if you would like to use the sauna(s) and on which night(s).
- Meals: Dinner and evening coffee at overnight accommodation for Day 1 is included. Breakfast included for Day 2 and (where applicable) Day 3. Dinner at overnight accommodation Day 2 is not included (available to purchase locally).
Example hotel accommodation Day 1 (top) and Day 2 (bottom). Photos: Åh Konferensgård (top), Anni Padian (bottom).
Options 1 and 2:
- Tour information: Introductory meeting on start day, map and route description, information on points of interest, recommendations for camping spots (if appropriate) and places to buy provisions/meals en route.
- Transfers: Transfer from end point in Lyckorna back to start or to Uddevalla for onward travel.
- Travel: We do not arrange flights or domestic travel, but are happy to advise on suitable connections and assist you with any aspect of planning your journey. See under "Getting There" for general travel information.
- Meals apart from those specified for Option 2 (no meals are included for Option 1). Additional meals are available to purchase locally - information on the various options will be given at the start of your tour.
- Sleeping bag for Option 1.
Good To Know »
Suitable for adults and active families with older children (recommended min. age 14-15). Hiking is easy-moderate over mixed terrain with some hills. You should be generally used to walking and enjoy the outdoors, but no previous experience of multi-day hiking is required.
Choosing the camping itinerary will add to level of challenge and guests will be carrying more weight compared to hotel option as tent, sleeping bag and cooking equipment must be carried.
Guests hiking in April-May or from mid-September onwards should be prepared for cooler and possibly more challenging weather conditions, especially if choosing camping option.
Minimum 2 adults required. Solo adult travelling with child(ren) may also be possible depending on age. Please contact us to discuss your requirements.
What makes this "Easy-Medium"?
Hiking distance is approx. 15km/day, which can be extended if desired by varying the route. Hiking is on mixed terrain which may be uneven at times and the landscape is hilly, though hiking level is overall easy-moderate.
Hotel accommodation option will have lower level of challenge compared to camping.
NB: Perception of difficulty is very subjective. What is hard to one person may be easy for another and vice versa, depending on factors including level of fitness, age and previous experience. Weather conditions/temperatures can also dramatically affect the actual level of challenge encountered.
For information on any equipment and/or clothing included as standard for this experience, please see under "What's Included".
A detailed recommended packing list for personal items to bring will be sent with your booking documentation.
NB: We advise you not to buy equipment or clothes for your trip or to incur other non-refundable expenses such as flights until you have received confirmation of your booking from us in writing. Note of course that the most appropriate clothing to use as well as the level of challenge experienced during any outdoor activity may vary significantly depending on factors such as the time of year and the particular weather/temperature conditions during your trip.
Preparing for your trip:
For further reading, we also have a number of general information articles to get you ready for your trip, covering a wide variety of topics from what to do on a city break before/after your tour, advice on packing, eyewear for winter and considerations for female travellers.
Combine This With
This experience makes a good combination with the following:
This experience is also suitable for groups. Please contact us to discuss your requirements.
This provider has a detailed written environmental policy.
Getting There »
Detailed information on travel options to this experience will be provided in response to your enquiry. We are happy to advise on suitable connections and assist you with any aspect of planning your journey.
Please ensure that you make a booking with us first and wait for confirmation that your spaces are reserved before making any travel arrangements.
Fly to Gothenburg for train to Uddevalla (approx. 1 hour).
Ferry Dover-Dunkirk or Newcastle-Amsterdam for onward train connections to Uddevalla.