- Flexible options for self-guided day tours
- Traditional, welcoming guest house
- Strong focus on local cuisine and culture
- Sauna included each night
- Ideal base for an active or relaxing break
- Canoeing and cycling equipment included
Cycling and Canoeing in North Karelia offers a chance to discover the lovely countryside of Karelia in spring or autumn from your base at a traditional Finnish guesthouse.
NB: This experience is only offered in June or September - stays in July or August are not available.
Offering simple but comfortable and welcoming accommodation with double or twin rooms and shared WC/shower facilties, the guesthouse is the former village school-building. There are 10 bedrooms in total sleeping up to 15 persons, with lounge areas, balconies and a traditional wood-fired sauna.
The quiet lanes and forests are perfect for exploring on two wheels. Photo: Nature Travels.
Full board (breakfast, picnic lunch and dinner as well as afternoon snack) is included and there is a focus on traditional Karelian cuisine, using local ingredients as far as possible. And of course, no stay in Finland would be complete without a sauna! Sauna is available each night - there's no better way to end a day in the Finnish outdoors than with a steamy sauna!
Use of bikes and canoes is included to explore the area with a combination of pedal and paddle power.
For cycling, there is a network of quiet country roads and rougher, sandy tracks taking you through an attractive and undulating/moderately hilly landscape surrounded by forest.
Food is a real feature of your stay with a strong focus on local Karelian cuisine. Photo: AKA.
With over 200,000 lakes in Finland, you'll never be far from water if you feel like stopping for a swim (possibly only for the brave depending on water temperatures!). There is a small lake just 200m from the guesthouse (5km long and 500m wide) ideal to discover by canoe, or to the east a much larger lake network stretching for over 100km.
There are also two guided day excursions in the local area available to book as optional extras:
- Raesärkät Nature Preserve: A lovely 6km hike including a stop to grill sausages by the campfire. Located approx. 20km from the guest house (transport included). Total duration approx. 4 hours.
- Koli National Park: A scenic national park on the shore of Lake Pielinen. 8km hike with picnic lunch. Locxated approx. 80km from the guest house (transport included). Total duration approx. 7 hours.
Cycling and Canoeing in North Karelia makes for an active yet accessible holiday where everything can be taken at your own pace and is very suitable for couples, groups of adult friends or families with children 7 years and over.
Check-in is available from 16.00. For guest arriving by train to Nurmes, transfer is included in connection with train arrival times (normally two connections daily).
Please check out of your room by 12.00. For guests departing by train from Nurmes, transfer to Nurmes is included.
Flexible dates by arrangement between 1st-30th June and 1st-30th September 2019. Minimum stay 4 days/3 nights, extra night(s) optional. NB: This experience is only offered in June or September - stays in July or August are not available.
|4 days/3 nights per adult||GBP 201||EUR 216|
|4 days/3 nights per child 7-15||GBP 101||EUR 108|
|Extra night per adult||GBP 67||EUR 72|
|Extra night per child 7-15||GBP 34||EUR 36|
|Single occupancy supplement/person/night||GBP 19||EUR 20|
NB: Prices based on two adults sharing. Supplement applies for single occupancy.
|Optional extras (see description below)|
|Day tour to Raesärkät Nature Preserve||GBP 23||EUR 24|
|Day tour to Koli National Park||GBP 34||EUR 36|
- Day tour to Raesärkät Nature Preserve: A lovely 6km hike including a stop to grill sausages by the campfire. Located approx. 20km from the guest house (transport included). Total duration approx. 4 hours. Offered any day by arrangement for min. 2 persons.
- Day tour to Koli National Park: A scenic national park on the shore of Lake Pielinen. 8km hike with picnic lunch. Locxated approx. 80km from the guest house (transport included). Total duration approx. 7 hours. Offered any day by arrangement for min. 2 persons.
What's Included »
Double/twin rooms in guest house (single occupancy supplement applies). There are 10 rooms at the guesthouse, 7 upstairs and 3 downstairs, sleeping up to total 15 persons. All rooms have shared WC/shower facilities.
The guesthouse is the old village school building, with large dining/lounge area and wood-fired sauna.
Bedding and towels are provided.
Example Guest House Accommodation
Full board (breakfast, picnic lunch prepared from breakfast table, dinner, afternoon coffee/snack). Please let us know any dietary requirements on booking.
Equipment and Information:
- Use of bikes: Bikes provided are Finnish Tunturi bikes, 7 gears and with tyres slightly wider than a city bike. Helmets are included.
- Use of canoe equipment: canoe, paddles, buoyancy aids. Canoes are stationed at the smaller lake 200m from the guesthouse. For guests wishing to canoe on the larger lake system to the east, free transfer of canoes can be offered to suitable start point.
- For guests travelling by train, transfer is included to/from Nurmes in connection with train arrivals/departures to/from Helsinki (normally two connections daily).
- Travel: We do not arrange flights or domestic travel, but are happy to advise on suitable connections and assist you with any aspect of planning your journey. See under "Getting There" for general travel information.
- Alcoholic drinks
Good To Know »
Minimum 2 adults required. Min age 7 years.
This experience is suitable for adults or families with children aged 7+ with general good level of health and fitness and able to cycle. Swimming ability required for canoeing.
What makes this "Easy"?
This experience offers great flexibility to vary the level of activity and challenge depending on your requirements. Depending on how accustomed guests are to cycling, the undulating landscape may be moderately challenging.
NB: Perception of difficulty is very subjective. What is hard to one person may be easy for another and vice versa, depending on factors including level of fitness, age and previous experience. Weather conditions/temperatures can also dramatically affect the actual level of challenge encountered.
For information on any equipment and/or clothing included as standard for this experience, please see under "What's Included".
A detailed recommended packing list for personal items to bring will be sent with your booking documentation.
NB: We advise you not to buy equipment or clothes for your trip or to incur other non-refundable expenses such as flights until you have received confirmation of your booking from us in writing. Note of course that the most appropriate clothing to use as well as the level of challenge experienced during any outdoor activity may vary significantly depending on factors such as the time of year and the particular weather/temperature conditions during your trip.
Preparing for your trip:
For further reading, we also have a number of general information articles to get you ready for your trip, covering a wide variety of topics from what to do on a city break before/after your tour, advice on packing, eyewear for winter and considerations for female travellers.
Combine This With
This experience makes a good combination with the following:
Suitable for groups of up to 15 persons.
The accommodation for this tour is small-scale and locally-owned. The great majority of food served is home-made using locally-sourced ingredients.
This provider has a written ecotourism policy.
Getting There »
Detailed information on travel options to this experience will be provided in response to your enquiry. We are happy to advise on suitable connections and assist you with any aspect of planning your journey.
Please ensure that you make a booking with us first and wait for confirmation that your spaces are reserved before making any travel arrangements.
Fly to Helsinki for day train to Nurmes (just under 7 hours). Transfers between Nurmes train station (30 mins) and the start/end guest houses are included in connection with train arrivals/departures.
Train from UK to Stockholm (Sweden) for ferry to Helsinki and onward train to Nurmes.
Gallery & Reviews »
Our host Minna went beyond our expectations and was a perfect host. [The best parts were] the guesthouse, our hostess and the food. Access to bikes and canoes whenever we wanted them. Trips with our host." Karelia, September 2018
"The food was amazing! As part of full board, each meal was different and delightful and so well thought through and so tasty. I wish we had longer." Bunty, June 2018