- Dates & Prices
- Good to Know
- Gallery & Comments
Winter is an ideal time of year for a log cabin holiday in Sweden, whether you are a couple looking for romantic winter evenings by candlelight or an active family wanting a winter adventure with the children.
In a typical winter, the snow usually arrives before Christmastime and lasts into late March. Värmland is located in the west of Sweden, bordering Norway, and this area has around 90-150 days of snow cover a year.
There are three traditional log cabins spaced about 30m apart, each sleeping up to max. 4 adults (or family of 5 with children) in 2 x 2-person rooms and 1 x sleeping loft (very popular with children!), meaning this experience is also an excellent choice for 2-3 families or groups of friends travelling together.
Each cabin is fully equipped with kitchen, shower, WC and wood-burning stove, and has a veranda looking out over the lake just 75m away. There is also a sauna in an adjacent building for your use. If you plan to have a car during your stay, there are a number of small villages and local restaurants to explore within easy driving distance.
Värmland in winter offers a wide variety of possibilities for winter activities:
- Cross country skiing: There are prepared tracks for cross-country skiing running right from the door and "forest skis" (simple skis that can be used with any winter boots) are available to hire locally. Please note that instruction on using the skis is not available, but the trails are easily followed and the basic technique easily learned.
- Snowshoeing: A great way to explore the winter world, snowshoes are available to borrow free of charge.
- Tobogganing: Let your hair down and rediscover the simple joys of tobogganing (children not essential!). Tobaggans and sleds are available to borrow free of charge.
- Ice fishing: The lakes freeze over and it is possible to try your luck at ice fishing (best conditions for ice fishing normally mid-February to late March). Please note that this activity must be guided. Guiding and equipment hire can be arranged locally.
- Downhill skiing: For those who just can't resist the lure of the pistes, there is a small downhill ski area just 30 minutes' drive away (note that you will require a hire car for your stay to access these facilities).
- Snowmobile tours: Your local host at the cabins is also a snowmobile instructor, with possibilities for half day and full day snowmobile tours in the surrounding area. January-March is normally the best time for snowmobiling.
- Dog sledding: Dog sledding day tours are available to arrange locally, best time normally January-March.
If you feel the urge to explore, go in search of animal tracks in the forest. Among the tracks you may see are moose, deer, fox and pine marten. The area has a large population of beaver, and the tell-tale signs of their industrious efforts are a common sight. You may even find tracks and signs left by some of Sweden's largest and most elusive mammals, the wolf and lynx.
Relaxing and romantic or active and family-friendly, Winter Log Cabin Escape in Värmland is an ideal choice for a log cabin holiday in Sweden.
You will have access to your cabin from 15.00. You should aim to arrive between 15.00 and 18.00. Later arrival times are also possible by prior arrangement. Please let us know your estimated arrival time in advance.
For guests arriving by public transport, transfer is available from Arvika (approx. 45 mins) as an optional extra. At Arvika you can shop for provisions for your stay before transfer to the cabin.
Please vacate your cabin by 12.00
- Not Included
The log cabins are available to rent all year round. Winter activities are normally possible mid-December to late March with best snow conditions January to March.
Prices are in British Pounds and Euros. If you wish, you are also welcome to make your payment in Swedish Kronor (SEK) - please contact us for details.
- During high season, rental periods are normally 8 days Saturday-Saturday, though other start days and durations may also be possible. Short stays (min. 3 nights) are available during low season and may also be possible during high season on request.
- High Season prices apply June/July/August (+ Christmas and New Year). For stays spanning two price periods (low-high season), the higher period price applies.
NB: Please note that bedding and towels must be added for all prices below.
|Standard Prices 2017|
|Cabin/week (low season)||GBP 769||EUR 829|
|Cabin/night (low season)||GBP 110||EUR 119|
|Cabin/week (high season)||GBP 1,051||EUR 1,134|
|Cabin/night (high season)||GBP 151||EUR 162|
|Bedding and towels/person/stay||GBP 17||EUR 18|
|Standard Prices 2018|
|Cabin/week (low season)||GBP 804||EUR 867|
|Cabin/night (low season)||GBP 115||EUR 124|
|Cabin/week (high season)||GBP 1,102||EUR 1,188|
|Cabin/night (high season)||GBP 158||EUR 170|
|Bedding and towels/person/stay||GBP 20||EUR 22|
|Optional Extras (see description below)|
|Transfer (up to 4 persons return)||GBP 79||EUR 84|
- Transfers: For guests travelling by public transport, transfers are required from the train station in Arvika (or Torsby). Please note that transfer times must be booked at least four weeks before departure. NB: Maximum 4 persons can be accommodated in standard transfers. For larger groups, transfer must be arranged by private taxi, cost around 1400 SEK (about £140) return for up to 7 persons.
- Additional activities: Cross country ski equipment, snowmobile half day and full day tours, ice fishing equipment/guiding and dog sledding day tours are available to hire/book locally with your host. Dog sledding and snowmobiling typically best January-March, ice fishing normally best mid-February to late March.
Log cabins situated just 75m from the water with wood-burning stove. Each cabin sleeps up to 4 adults (or a family of 5 with children) in 2 x 2-person rooms (one twin/double room, one room with bunk beds) and 1 x sleeping loft. Please let us know in advance if you have any special requirements (e.g. cot, high chair). Bed linen is provided for guests to make up the rooms as required on arrival.
The cabins have the following facilities:
- Fully-equipped modern kitchen for self-catering, including microwave.
- Satellite TV with Swedish, German and one or two English channels. All English-language programmes (films, comedy, etc) shown on Swedish channels are subtitled, not dubbed (with the exception of children's programmes).
- Radio (not CD/tape player).
- Wood-burning stove and electric radiators.
- WC room with shower.
- Sauna is available for your use in a separate building. One basket of firewood is provided for use with wood-burning stove/sauna. Additional wood can be purchased from your host as required.
- Please note that washing machine facilities are not available at the cabins during wintertime.
Equipment and Activities:
Toboggans, sleds, and snowshoes are available to borrow from your host free of charge. Additional equipment/activities are available to hire/book locally with your host - see under "Optional Extras".
Your host will meet you for welcome meeting giving useful information for your stay on the morning following your arrival.
End cleaning of the cabin on departure.
- Travel: We do not arrange flights or domestic travel, but are happy to advise on suitable connections and assist you with any aspect of planning your journey. See under "Good to Know > Getting There" for general travel information.
- Food: The cabins are fully-equipped for self-catering. The nearest shop is 20km away, 15 mins by car. NB: Please note if you choose not to have a car during your stay that you must have ALL provisions with you before leaving Arvika. There are no facilities where the cabins are located. Time can be allowed in Arvika to shop for provisions before pick-up. See "Optional extras" below for information on transfers if travelling by public transport.
- Getting There
- Eco Info
General good health - guests of all ages are welcome.
For information on any equipment and/or clothing included as standard for this experience, please see under "Dates and Prices > Included".
A detailed recommended packing list for personal items to bring will be sent with your booking documentation.
NB: We advise you not to buy equipment or clothes for your trip or to incur other non-refundable expenses such as flights until you have received confirmation of your booking from us in writing. Note of course that the most appropriate clothing to use as well as the level of challenge experienced during any outdoor activity may vary significantly depending on factors such as the time of year and the particular weather/temperature conditions during your trip.
Detailed information on travel options to this experience will be provided in response to your enquiry. We are happy to advise on suitable connections and assist you with any aspect of planning your journey.
Please ensure that you make a booking with us first and wait for confirmation that your spaces are reserved before making any travel arrangements.
Fly to Stockholm, Gothenburg or Oslo airports for onward travel by train to Arvika or by hire car, travel time 2.5-4.5 hours depending on options chosen. Transfer to/from Arvika train station is available as an optional extra for guests travelling by public transport.
Ferry Dover-Dunkirk or Newcastle-Amsterdam for onward train connections to Arvika.
The log cabins are suitable for up to 4 adults (or a family of 5 with children) per cabin. The cabins are spaced around 30m apart and this experience is ideal for groups or families travelling together who wish to hire two or more cabins.
This host has received a prestigious Swedish Ecotourism award for commitment to high standards to cultural and environmental sensitivity.
"We really enjoyed it. The cabin was perfect, sauna was lovely and the nearby lake was a focal point for activities. It was well-represented and the help beforehand was very good service." Athlyn and Barbara, March 2017
"The best part was time to spend with my son without any distractions." Name not supplied, February 2016
"I wanted to let you know that we thoroughly enjoyed our stay. Thank you for your help and guidance in booking trains and other travel details - everything worked out perfectly. The only thing to change next time would be to have longer there to enjoy it all! The setting and location of the cabin was absolutely stunning. Everything was covered in snow and the village was perfectly peaceful - just what we were looking for. We couldn't have asked for more in terms of the service we received both from the booking team in the UK and Björn in Sweden. Both were extremely accommodating to all our needs and very friendly with it." Steven