- Dates & Prices
- Need to Know
- Gallery & Comments
This comfortable lodge in the far north of Swedish Lapland is the perfect base to enjoy the beauty of winter far inside the Arctic Circle. A selection of activities are available to add as optional extras for those seeking winter adventures, or alternatively simply take the time to relax on a romantic break and enjoy the winter wonderland landscape of the surrounding lakes and forests.
Located far from areas of light pollution in an area ideal for Aurora watching, Aurora Lodge Escape in Lapland gives very good chances to see the Northern Lights during your stay. On arrival you will receive information and advice for seeing the Aurora as well as hints and tips on photographing the Northern Lights, and will have daily updates during your stay on the latest Aurora activity forecast.
A variety of equipment is included for your use during your stay to explore the surrounding area on your own self-guided adventures: snowshoes, kicksleds (a traditional, easy and fun way for Swedes to get around in the winter!) and ice fishing equipment. You will be provided with trail maps and information to help you explore, giving you the flexibility to be as active (or lazy!) as you wish during your stay. There are about 30km of trails immediately accessible from the lodge.
Sauna at the lodge is included each night, with the sauna building also having a cosy lounge with fireplace - for many guests travelling to the north in wintertime, the experience of a traditional Swedish sauna followed by (optional!) roll in the snow is one of their most enduring memories.
Accommodation is in en-suite rooms for 2-4 persons, each with a view of the river Kalix. The lodge is also well-known for its cuisine and full board is included for your stay.
The following additional day activities are also available to book as optional extras:
- Husky Sledding: Drive your own dogsled (either shared one per two persons or own sled depending on preference) on a husky adventure into the nearby Kaitum Nature Reserve. Choose between a half-day (2-3 hour) or full-day (5-6 hour), or overnight dogsled tour where you stay in wilderness cabin for the night before returning to the lodge next day.
- Guided Snowshoeing: Snowshoeing is an ideal way to discover the winter landscape and access areas not easily reachable
in other ways. Choose between a 2-3 hour tour starting directly from the Lodge or a day tour to climb Avvakko, a
- 2-3 hour tour: Possible during daytime or evening (please specify when booking) starting directly from the Lodge. Evening tours can give good chances to see Northern Lights. Terrain is easy walking and the tour is suitable for participants with general good health, but can be more demanding if snow conditions are heavy.
- Day tour: Your tour begins with transfer approx. 15-20 mins to a local village, from where you head for the summit offering a wonderful view over the surrounding wilderness. Depending on snow conditions, this tour can be physically challenging with climb of around 2 hours. Lunch at the top.
- Snowmobile Safari: The excitement and adventure of snowmobiling is often high on any visitor's list. Drive your own snowmobile (shared one per two persons or own snowmobile depending on preference) on a half-day (2-3 hours) or full day (4-5 hours including lunch) tour. Both tours offers possibility to see reindeer.
- Nordic Wellness afternoon: Relax and soak up the atmosphere in the wood-heated sauna 30 mins' walk from the lodge at the nearby Wilderness Camp.
- Guided Icefishing: The lakes and rivers surrounding the lodge are rich in fish, and assistance from a local guide will greatly improve your chances of a catch!
- Ice Hotel visit: No trip to Lapland is complete without a visit to the world-famous Ice Hotel in Jukkasjärvi. Provided your departure arrangements allow suitable time, this tour is offered in connection with your departure transfer back to Kiruna. Guests choosing this option should plan to depart Kiruna airport or train station no earlier than 13.30.
You will be transferred from Kiruna airport or train station to the Lodge (transfer time approx. 1 hour).
Transfer to Kiruna airport or train station for departure.
- Not Included
- Optional Extras
2016-17 Winter Season
Start days normally Sundays from 04.12.16 to latest start date 09.04.17*. Other start days may be possible by arrangement.
*The Northern Lights are visible from around September to early/mid April. The deep midwinter period of November-January offers the longest hours of darkness, which is of course required for the Northern Lights to be visible, while the "spring winter" of March and April offers longer hours of daylight and typically milder temperatures. The Northern Lights can be visible at any time during this period, including during March to mid-April. While March and April have shorter nights, on the other hand these months can also have a greater incidence of clear skies.
Minimum duration is normally 4 days/3 nights, but please note that during peak periods (e.g. Christmas and New Year), stays may be restricted to minimum 8 days/7 nights. Stays over Christmas end with departure 27th December 2016. New Year stays begin with arrival 27th December 2016.
Prices are in British Pounds. If you wish, you are also welcome to make your payment by bank transfer in Euros or Swedish Kronor. If this would be of interest, please let us know and we will be happy to provide prices.
2016-17 Winter Season
- 4 days/3 nights: £581/adult*, £414/child under 16 (in parents' room).
- Additional night(s): £157/adult/night*, £84/child under 16/night (in parents' room).
*Based on two persons sharing. Single supplement £52/person/night.
For stays over Christmas, there is a supplement of £56/person/stay. For stays over New Year, there is a supplement of £93/person/stay.
- 4 days/3 nights' full board accommodation in private 2-4 person rooms with en-suite shower and WC. There are 8 rooms at the lodge in total.
- Sauna available each night.
Images below show typical bedroom, dining room, sauna building and lodge area:
Full board from dinner on arrival day to breakfast on departure day.
Equipment and Activities
- Use of snowshoes, kicksleds and ice fishing equipment is included during your stay.
- Warm winter clothing (thermal outer suit, hats, gloves and boots)
- Information on Northern Lights/photography tips on arrival and daily activity forecast.
Communal transfer is included to/from Kiruna on arrival/departure (transfer time about one hour). Transfer times can be flexible to a certain extent depending on travel arrangements.
- Alcoholic drinks.
- Additional activities available to book as optional extras.
The following activities are available (must be reserved in advance on booking). Please see under "Overview" for additional information on the activities:
- Dog sledding* (Minimum age 12. Minimum age to drive own sled 16):
- 2-3 hours: £102/person (based on sharing sled one per two persons). Supplement to drive own sled £55 (total £157).
- 5-6 hours including lunch: £144/person (based on sharing sled one per two persons). Supplement to drive own sled £82 (total £226).
- Overnight tour (starts 10.00 Day 1 end 15.00-16.00 Day 2): £289/person (based on sharing sled one per two persons). Supplement to drive own sled £174 (total £463).
- Snowmobiling* (Minimum age 12. Participants wishing to drive a snowmobile must hold full driving licence):
- 2 hours: £102/person (based on sharing snowmobile one per two persons). Supplement to drive own snowmobile £55 (total £157).
- 4-5 hours including lunch: £144/person (based on sharing snowmobile one per two persons). Supplement to drive own snowmobile £82 (total £226).
- Guided snowshoeing (Minimum age 12):
- 2-3 hours: £54/person. Possible as daytime or evening tour - please specify on booking.
- Daytour to Avvakko summit with lunch: £88/person. Includes local transfers to/from start/end point (approx. 15-20 mins). Climb to summit takes approx. 2 hours where you will have lunch before returning.
- Nordic Wellness afternoon: £37/person (walk on trail to wilderness camp approx. 30 mins, wood-heated sauna is prepared in advance)
- Guided Ice Fishing: 2-3 hours £54/person
- Ice Hotel visit on departure day (total 1.5-2 hours): £44/adult, transfer to Ice Hotel and onward transfer to Kiruna or Kiruna airport after visit. Guests choosing this option must plan to depart Kiruna train station or airport no earlier than 13.30 on the departure day. NB: Note that entry to the Ice Hotel for guided tours is not included - payable locally (around 325 SEK/adult, about £30)
*On rare occasions when temperatures fall below -30 degrees C, dogsled and snowmobile tours may not take place for safety reasons. In this case, an alternative activity will be offered.
- Getting There
- Combine This With
- Eco Info
General good health. Recommended min. age 12.
A detailed recommended packing list will be sent with your booking confirmation.
NB: We advise you not to buy equipment or clothes for your trip or to incur other non-refundable expenses such as flights until you have received confirmation of your booking from us in writing. Note of course that the most appropriate clothing to use as well as the level of challenge experienced during any outdoor activity may vary significantly depending on factors such as the time of year and the particular weather/temperature conditions during your trip.
Detailed information on travel options to this experience will be provided in response to your enquiry. We are happy to advise on suitable connections and assist you with any aspect of planning your journey.
Please ensure that you make a booking with us first and wait for confirmation that your spaces are reserved before making any travel arrangements.
Fly to Stockholm then onward to Kiruna by night train or domestic flight connection. Transfer from Kiruna airport or train station is included. (If travelling by train to this experience, it is most convenient for your arrival to have pick-up transfer from Gällivare rather than Kiruna (the train reaches Gällivare approx. one hour before Kiruna), though pick-up from Kiruna is also possible. On departure, guests should always depart from Kiruna).
Ferry Dover-Dunkirk or Newcastle-Amsterdam for onward train connections as above.
This experience makes a good combination with the following:
- Discover Dog Sledding in Lapland (4 days, one hour by transfer)
- Dog Sledding and Winter Camping on the King's Trail (8 days, one hour by transfer)
- Husky Mountain Expedition in Lapland (8 or 12 days, one hour by transfer)
- Northern Lights Dog Sledding in Lapland (8 days, one hour by transfer)
- One-day and Overnight Husky Tours in Kiruna (1-2 days, one hour by transfer)
This experience is very suitable for groups. Please contact us to discuss your requirements.
This provider has a written environmental policy.