- Dates & Prices
- Good to Know
- Gallery & Comments
- Following Days
For all you budding Tarzans out there, pining to branch out into something new, pack your trunk for a tree climbing adventure in Sweden!
The beautiful deciduous forests in the southern tip of Sweden are a little different from the pine-filled forest you would expect further north, but have you ever wondered what it would be like to see the forest from a different angle?
Most adults will fondly remember climbing trees as a child, but few will have climbed any since. Recreational tree climbing is slowly gaining popularity as a pastime. Under expert guidance, you can rediscover all the childhood fun and adventure of scaling a tree with the added benefit and safety of being attached to a rope - and you'll probably get a lot higher that you've ever been before!
During your instruction, you'll learn a whole new set of unique skills while staying in a beautiful yurt at the Forest Retreat in Skåne, just an hour by train from Copenhagen in the tranquil forests of southern Sweden. Each yurt sleeps 2 or 3 persons and you can leave the "root-ines" of modern life behind with no electricity, as the yurts have oil-burning lamps and heaters to keep you warm and cosy.
During your stay you will be provided with lovely local ingredients to make breakfast and to cook dinners over an open fire. Lunch is also provided during your climbing course.
As an optional extra, you can choose to spend one night sleeping up a tree! After dinner, using your-new found abilities, you will climb a tree and secure your bed for the night in a "tree boat" or "cocoon". Your guide will ensure you're "oak-ay" before you settle in the night under a canopy of leaves, drifting off to sleep, watching the twinkling of stars overhead and listening to the gentle rustling of leaves. Safety of course always comes first - you'll be "re-leafed" to know that you sleep safe and secure in your harness throughout the night attached to the tree, while your shoes and helmet hang from a nearby branch ready for your descent the next morning! Your guide will also be on hand throughout the night in case of difficulties (or nightime visit to ground level for the loo!).
You can also add extra days either with climbing instruction or with yurt and provisions only, giving you chance to explore some of the wonderful hiking opportunities in the surrounding forest and maybe go for a swim in the nearby lake.
So if you're stumped for your next idea for a holiday adventure, this experience is ideal for anyone wanting to get back to their roots, turn over a new leaf and learn a fun new activity while reconnecting with nature and their inner child.
Check-in at the yurts is between 15.00 and 17.00.
After breakfast you will meet your climbing instructor, who will go through your equipment and during the day teach you to safely ascend and descend a tree. From throwing the rope to target the branch of your choice, which requires precision and patience, to building a network of ropes and climbing the tree and then lowering yourself to the ground, you'll be taught everything you need to know under close supervision.
Spend the evening at the yurts, cooking your dinner over an open fire using the local ingredients provided.
Today your climbing instructor will teach you how to pick the best trees to climb and the risks and dangers to look out for when selecting a tree. When climbing trees you need to be able to identify branches that will support your weight and once you've found a good place to start, you will practise your new-found skills, setting up your own climbing systems to "conker" that tree!
Accommodation this night is in yurt or, as an optional extra, you can choose to sleep up a tree!
NB: You are welcome to add additional day(s)' tree climbing or additional night(s) at the yurt camp without climbing.
After breakfast, please check out by 11.00.
- Not Included
Flexible start days by arrangement for min. 2 persons between May and October 2016. Minimum stay 4 days/3 nights, additional nights optional.
Prices are in British Pounds and Euros. If you wish, you are also welcome to make your payment in Swedish Kronor (SEK) - please contact us for details.
|Tree climbing package/person (4 days/3 nights)||GBP 581||EUR 666|
|Optional Extras (see description below)|
|Extra night in yurt/person (no climbing)||GBP 76||EUR 87|
|Extra day's climbing instruction + extra night in yurt/person||GBP 264||EUR 302|
|Sleep in a tree/person||GBP 285||EUR 326|
|Transfers/person one-way||GBP 10||EUR 12|
- Extra night in yurt (no climbing): Includes provisions for lunch, dinner and breakfast. The surrounding forest is ideal for hiking and there is a lake within walking distance for swimming.
- Extra day's climbing instruction + extra night in yurt: Includes lunch during course, yurt accommodation and provisions for dinner and breakfast.
- Sleep in a tree: Price applies only if chosen as Day 2 or Day 3 of standard 4-day/3-night package. Includes sleeping bag and pillow. Instructor is on hand throughout the night in case of difficulties. NB: If choosing a "sleep in tree" night as extra night outside the standard 4-day/3-night experience, please contact us for details and prices.
- Transfers: For guests travelling by public transport, transfer is available from Höör train station.
Instruction and Equipment:
Two-day course in tree climbing under the supervision and instruction of a local guide. All necessary climbing and safety equipment is provided.
- Three nights' accommodation in private yurts. Bed linen and towels are provided.
For information on yurt accommodation and the facilities at the camp, please see Forest Retreat in Skåne.
- Lunch during climbing instruction days (Day 2 and Day 3).
- Provisions packs for self-preparation of 3 x breakfast and 3 x dinner (please advise in advance if you have any dietary requirements). Information and advice on recipe ideas can be given locally.
Items included in the provisions packs will of course vary, but example contents are given below:
- Breakfast: eggs, Swedish "filmjök" (sour milk) and muesli, local bread, local cheese and often also local meat for sandwiches, butter and marmalade, some fruit, coffee, tea and chocolate.
- Dinner: Ingredients for two-course dinner such as chopped meat with warm salad of local seasonal vegetables of the season followed by chocolate cream with strawberries/raspberries, or meat chop with mushrooms and fried potatoes with local vegetables followed by apple compote with cream.
Food is sourced from local, small-scale producers and ingredients vary depending on seasonal availability. Some "tips and tricks for outdoor cooking" can be provided along with a suggested menu based on the ingredients provided. Cheese plates can also be purchased when visiting the local cheese-producer.
- Travel: We do not arrange flights or domestic travel, but are happy to advise on suitable connections and assist you with any aspect of planning your journey. See under "Good to Know > Getting There" for general travel information.
- Alcoholic drinks.
- Getting There
- Combine This With
- Eco Info
You should be in general good health, enjoy the outdoors and not be afraid of heights. No previous climbing experience is required.
Minimum age 15 years. Younger children may be possible by arrangement (standard prices apply), though please note that opportunities for younger children to participate fully may be limited and in general, 15 years is the minimum recommended age for participants to gain full benefit and enjoyment of the experience.
For information on any equipment and/or clothing included as standard for this experience, please see under "Dates and Prices > Included".
A detailed recommended packing list for personal items to bring will be sent with your booking documentation.
NB: We advise you not to buy equipment or clothes for your trip or to incur other non-refundable expenses such as flights until you have received confirmation of your booking from us in writing. Note of course that the most appropriate clothing to use as well as the level of challenge experienced during any outdoor activity may vary significantly depending on factors such as the time of year and the particular weather/temperature conditions during your trip.
Detailed information on travel options to this experience will be provided in response to your enquiry. We are happy to advise on suitable connections and assist you with any aspect of planning your journey.
Please ensure that you make a booking with us first and wait for confirmation that your spaces are reserved before making any travel arrangements.
Fly to Copenhagen. Train to Höör (travel time around 50 mins) from where transfer (approx. 10km) to the camp is available as an optional extra.
Ferry Dover-Dunkirk or Newcastle-Amsterdam for onward connections to Höör.
Combine This With
This experience makes a good combination with the following:
- Canoe Getaway in Skåne (4 days, 1 hour by public transport)
This experience is ideal for groups. Please contact us to discuss your requirements.
This provider has a written environmental policy.