- Dates & Prices
- Good to Know
- Gallery & Comments
A log cabin in Sweden is an ideal escape from the stresses of modern life - a place to unwind and give some time to the truly important things in life.
The three traditionally-constructed log cabins are attractively situated just 75m from the lakeside near a small hamlet in the west of Värmland, with hiking, canoeing, cycling and fishing (see additional information under "fishing" below) all available from your doorstep.
Each cabin has a large veranda with table and chairs, perfect for cooking out of doors or just sitting and enjoying the view over the lake. Each log cabin also includes its own boat (or canoe if preferred), which can be used to explore three local lakes.
The log cabins are beautifully situated between the lakes of Mången and Treen. From here the famous Finnskogen, a vast area of forest, lakes and hills, full of wildlife such as elk and beaver, stretches northwards. The traditionally constructed log cabins, which accommodate max. total 4 adults (or a family of 5 with children) in 2 x 2-person rooms + 1 x sleeping loft, are fully-equipped and tastefully furnished and have a wood-burning stove.
Couples seeking a romantic getaway will find endless miles of forest tracks to explore in privacy and seclusion. Why not take the boat included with the log cabin and strike out for your own private landing spot across one of the lakes?
For outdoor and nature enthusiasts, the area's vast forests, myriad lakes and rolling hills are rich in wildlife, including elk and beaver, and if the season is right the woods will be bursting with berries and mushrooms just waiting to be picked.
For families, the area provides a wealth of possibilities, with canoes and mountain bikes available for hire to help you explore. And after a hard day of activity, you can relax with a sauna! There are shared sauna facilites available for your use in a nearby building.
With a log cabin as your base, the forests, hills and lakes of Värmland are just waiting to be explored!
Located within a fishing reserve, Log Cabin Escape in Värmland is a marvellous base for fishing for pike, perch and pike-perch depending on the time of year. Fishing licence and "deep maps" of the three larger lakes are included, and equipment hire can be arranged locally.
Guests wishing to fish should have a previous working knowledge of fishing. For guests without previous fishing experience who wish to fish during their stay, a day course is required locally. Please contact us for details.
Use of rowing boat
The boat included as standard is provided without motor. A motor for use with the boat is available to hire locally if required.
Please note the option to use motor is available only to guests with previous experience of and competence in driving a boat with engine.
You will have access to your cabin from 15.00 on your arrival day. You should aim to arrive between 15.00 and 18.00. Later arrival times are also possible by prior arrangement. Please let us know your estimated arrival time in advance.
Transfer to/from Arvika or Torsby is available as an optional extra for guests travelling by public transport. Please let us know your arrival/departure times to/from Arvika/Torsby so that transfers can be arranged. Please note that transfer times must be booked at least four weeks before departure.
If driving, please let us know your estimated arrival and departure times to/from the cabin and also your flight arrival time and airport (if applicable).
Please vacate your cabin by 12.00 on your departure day.
- Not Included
This experience is available all year round. For those interested in fishing, the best fishing season is May to the middle of June and from end of August through the whole of September and part of October.
Summer activities season May to September, winter activities mid-December to March.
Prices are in British Pounds and Euros. If you wish, you are also welcome to make your payment in Swedish Kronor (SEK) - please contact us for details.
- During high season, rental periods are normally 8 days Saturday-Saturday, though other start days and durations may also be possible. Short stays (min. 3 nights) are available during low season and may also be possible during high season on request.
- High Season prices apply June/July/August (+ Christmas and New Year). For stays spanning two price periods (low-high season), the higher period price applies.
NB: Please note that bedding and towels must be added for all prices below.
|Cabin/week (low season)||GBP 804||EUR 867|
|Cabin/night (low season)||GBP 115||EUR 124|
|Cabin/week (high season)||GBP 1,102||EUR 1,188|
|Cabin/night (high season)||GBP 158||EUR 170|
|Bedding and towels/person/stay||GBP 20||EUR 22|
|Optional Extras (see description below)|
|Transfer (up to 4 persons return)||GBP 79||EUR 84|
- Transfers: For guests travelling by public transport, transfers are required from the train station in Arvika (or Torsby). Please note that transfer times must be booked at least four weeks before departure. NB: Maximum 4 persons can be accommodated in standard transfers. For larger groups, transfer must be arranged by private taxi, cost around 1400 SEK (about £140) return for up to 7 persons.
- Canoes and mountain bikes: Canoes and mountain bikes are also available to hire from your local host, payment to be made locally. For bikes, child sizes for children aged approx 8-12 years are available.
NB: The cabins are in a fairly remote location, only a few minutes' walk from your hosts' house but approx. 20km from the nearest shops. The experience is accessible by public transport (see "Optional extras" below) and it is not essential to have a car, but you will require a car if you would like to make the most of the possibilities in the local area and may find a vehicle convenient during your stay.
Log cabins situated just 75m from the water with wood-burning stove. Each cabin sleeps up to max. 4 adults (or a family of 5 with children) in 2 x 2-person rooms (one twin/double room, one with bunk beds) and 1 x sleeping loft. Please let us know in advance if you have any special requirements (e.g. cot, high chair). Bed linen is provided for guests to make up the rooms as required on arrival.
The cabins have the following facilities:
- Fully-equipped modern kitchen for self-catering, including microwave.
- Satellite TV with Swedish, German and one or two English channels. All English-language programmes (films, comedy, etc) shown on Swedish channels are subtitled, not dubbed (with the exception of children's programmes).
- Radio (not CD/tape player).
- Wood-burning stove and electric radiators.
- WC room with shower.
- Washing machine and tumble drier are available for your use in a separate building (only during period 15th June-15th September). NB: Please note that one wash per week is included as standard. There is a small charge locally for additional use.
- Sauna is available for your use in a separate building. One basket of firewood is provided for use with wood-burning stove/sauna. Additional wood can be purchased from your host as required.
- Linder 440 aluminium fishing boat with buoyancy aids (2-3 person canoe can also be chosen as alternative to boat if preferred). The boat is suitable for 4-5 persons. The boats are in the three larger lakes and are ideal both for general leisure use to explore the lakes and for fishing.
- Map covering the whole fishing area and "deep maps" for the three larger lakes.
Your host will meet you for welcome meeting giving useful information for your stay on the morning following your arrival.
End cleaning of the cabin on departure.
- Travel: We do not arrange flights or domestic travel, but are happy to advise on suitable connections and assist you with any aspect of planning your journey. See under "Good to Know > Getting There" for general travel information.
- Food: The cabins are fully-equipped for self-catering. The nearest shop is 20km away, 15 min by car. NB: Please note if you choose not to have a car during your stay that you must have ALL provisions with you before leaving Arvika. There are no facilities where the cabins are located. Time can be allowed in Arvika to shop for provisions before pick-up. See "Optional extras" below for information on transfers if travelling by public transport.
- Additional equipment available to hire locally such as mountain bikes, canoes and fishing gear.
- Getting There
- Combine This With
- Eco Info
You should have general good health - guests of all ages are welcome. The summer is most suitable for families. In spring and autumn the weather can be rougher on the water and we recommend warm clothes.
What makes this "Easy"?
As a self-catering cabin experience, there is great flexibility to make your stay as relaxing or active as you wish, but any activities are optional. Level of challenge of activities will vary.
NB: Perception of difficulty is very subjective. What is hard to one person may be easy for another and vice versa, depending on factors including level of fitness, age and previous experience. Weather conditions/temperatures can also dramatically affect the actual level of challenge encountered.
For information on any equipment and/or clothing included as standard for this experience, please see under "Dates and Prices > Included".
A detailed recommended packing list for personal items to bring will be sent with your booking documentation.
NB: We advise you not to buy equipment or clothes for your trip or to incur other non-refundable expenses such as flights until you have received confirmation of your booking from us in writing. Note of course that the most appropriate clothing to use as well as the level of challenge experienced during any outdoor activity may vary significantly depending on factors such as the time of year and the particular weather/temperature conditions during your trip.
Detailed information on travel options to this experience will be provided in response to your enquiry. We are happy to advise on suitable connections and assist you with any aspect of planning your journey.
Please ensure that you make a booking with us first and wait for confirmation that your spaces are reserved before making any travel arrangements.
Fly to Stockholm, Gothenburg or Oslo airports for onward travel by train to Arvika or by hire car, travel time 2.5-4.5 hours depending on options chosen. Transfer to/from Arvika train station is available as an optional extra for guests travelling by public transport.
Ferry Dover-Dunkirk or Newcastle-Amsterdam for onward train connections to Arvika.
Combine This With
This experience makes a good combination with the following:
- Canoe Tours in Bergslagen (7 or 14 days, 1.5 hours by car or 2.5 hours by public transport)
- Canoe Tours on Klarälven (4-7 days, 1.5 hours by car or 2.5 hours by public transport)
- Canoe Tours on Rottnan/Röjdån (4 days, 45 mins by transfer)
- Canoe Tours on Svartälven (4, 7 or 14 days, 1.5 hours by car or 2.5 hours by public transport)
- Timber Rafting on Klarälven (5 or 8 days, 1.5 hours by car or 2.5 hours by public transport)
The log cabins are suitable for up to 4 adults (or a family of 5 with children) per cabin. There are 3 cabins in total. Groups of up to 12 adults can therefore be accommodated using all three cabins. This experience is ideal for groups or families travelling together who wish to hire two or more cabins.
This host has received a prestigious Swedish Ecotourism award for commitment to high standards to cultural and environmental sensitivity.
Mången-Treens Fishing Preservation Area:
Stor-Treen and Mången are two small lakes located north of Arvika and are managed by the Mången Treen FVO, located in the municipality of Arvika and Sunne. Stor-Treen is located 190 meters above sea level and Mången is located 212 meters above sea level. The two lakes offers good fishing possibilities for perch, pike, Gullspång salmon, Gullspång trout and Brunnhytte trout. Many big fish are caught here every year.
In the surrounding area there are a large number of streams and other fishing waters.
"Very pleased with process and comms with your team. Very quick reply to my email enquiries. [The best part was] use of the boat and motor. Host very helpful explaining where to fish/picnic and provided tips and a map of lake." Andy, August 2017
"None of our hopes about the trip were unfulfilled - marvellous tranquility." Simon, August 2017
"We had a great time in Sweden and feel quite sad that our adventure is over! we loved both parts of our holiday. The canoe trip was truly a memorable few days and the log cabin was amazing - really nothing to improve on at all as it was clean and well-appointed, and Björn was really helpful and welcoming. It was a wonderful adventure for us and our children and we look forward to going back someday." Kate, August 2016, who combined a stay at the cabins with our Canoe Tours on Klarälven experience.
"The gorgeous scenery and the canoe were great. The product fitted what we wanted." Ellie, July 2016