- Dates & Prices
- Good to Know
- Gallery & Comments
Just one hour by train from Copenhagen, Forest Retreat in Skåne offers a tranquil, easily-accessible break in the beautiful countryside of southern Sweden.
This experience is ideal for couples, families or larger groups wishing to spend time together in a relaxing forest setting.
There are 6 yurts in total, each sleeping 2 or 3 persons. The "Skogsrået" yurt lies relatively isolated from the rest of the camp and is ideal for couples. For a larger family or group of 4-5 persons, there are two adjacent yurts (1 x 2-person + 1 x 3-person) which are ideal. Alternatively, for families and small groups, simple extra bed(s) can be added to any of the yurts to sleep up to 4 persons in one yurt.
There is a fully-equipped outdoor kitchen to prepare your food outdoors over open fire. Alternatively, cook on the wood-fired stove in the larger common yurt, which also provides a wonderful space to relax and socialise in the evenings. Provisions packages with ingredients for breakfast, lunch and dinner are available as an optional extra.
There is no electricity or running water - the yurts are lit with oil-lamps and heated with oil-burning heaters (the common yurt is heated by wood-burning stove), creating a magical atmosphere in the forest and feeling a world away from modern life. Drinking water is provided, and water for washing up and cooking is fetched from the well. Firewood is provided (some ready-chopped with extra wood available to chop yourself) and the camp has dry, outside wilderness toilet facilities.
Each yurt has a wash basin and there is also a simple "forest shower", using water bag heated either by the sun or using water heated on the wood-burning stove.
Just a 1km walk away from the yurt camp lies Skåne's cleanest lake, perfect for wild swimming and also fishing, or 4km brings you to lake Vaxsjön for additional wild swimming possibilities. The surrounding forests are rich in wildlife and moose are commonly seen, and there also is a small cheese producer to visit just 1km from the camp.
The area offers wonderful opportunities for hiking. The camp borders Frostavallen, one of Sweden's premier walking areas, with easy access to a range of trails from 4km up to much longer.
If you have a car during your stay, there are a host of other attractions in the area, including possibilities for Icelandic horse riding, the Skåne Animal Park, which focuses exclusively on Nordic animals, or guided wildlife spotting such as porpoise and eagle safaris.
Depending on your dates of stay and the number of persons in your party, additional guided activities such as yoga, mindfulness walks, outdoor cooking courses, bat safaris, mushroom picking and "cheese walks" may also be available.
A stay at the yurts is possible from beginning of March to end December (Christmas in a yurt, anyone?!). The best season for outdoor activities is May-September.
Forest Retreat in Skåne is the ideal way to discover the peace of the Swedish forest and leave the world behind for a while, whether you are looking for a romantic escape, a "back to nature" holiday with your family, or a lovely environment to spend time with friends or celebrate a special occasion.
Check-in is between 15.00 and 17.00.
Please check out by 11.00.
- Not Included
Start any day arrangement from 1st March to 31st December, best time for outdoor activities May-September. Minimum stay 4 days/3 nights (extra nights optional).
Check-in is between 15.00 and 17.00. Please check out by 11.00.
On arrival you will check in at the cheese factory 1km from the camp. Guests arriving by car will park their cars here. From the cheese factory, it is an easy 10 minutes' walk on a small gravel/forest path to the camp.
Prices are in British Pounds and Euros. If you wish, you are also welcome to make your payment in Swedish Kronor (SEK) - please contact us for details.
Please specify on booking if you have a preference for a particular yurt (for example, couples may wish to choose the more secluded "Skogsrået" yurt, while a large family or group may wish to choose the two adjacent yurts).
A family or group of 4-5 persons may wish to book two adjacent yurts. Alternatively, for extra persons, additional camp beds are added which are simpler than the standard yurt beds. 2-person yurts can have up to two camp beds added, 3-person yurts can have one camp bed added. Price for 3 persons staying in 2-person yurt + extra bed is therefore slightly lower than 3 persons staying in 3-person yurt. Please specify your preference when booking.
NB: Please note that bedding and towels must be added for all prices below.
|4 days/3 nights (base price per yurt for 1-2 persons)||GBP 334||EUR 360|
|4 days/3 nights, per 3rd or 4th person in extra bed||GBP 116||EUR 125|
|Extra night (base price per yurt for 1-2 persons)||GBP 52||EUR 56|
|Extra night, per 3rd or 4th person in extra bed||GBP 32||EUR 34|
|4 days/3 nights (base price per yurt for 1-3 persons)||GBP 458||EUR 494|
|4 days/3 nights, 4th person in extra bed||GBP 106||EUR 115|
|Extra night (base price per yurt for 1-3 persons)||GBP 141||EUR 152|
|Extra night, 4th person in extra bed||GBP 32||EUR 34|
|Bedding and towels/person/stay||GBP 13||EUR 14|
|Optional extras (see description below)|
|Provisions pack per person/night||GBP 31||EUR 34|
|Transfer/person one-way||GBP 11||EUR 12|
- Provisions pack: Provisions packs (including food for breakfast, lunch and dinner) for self-preparation. Please advise in advance if you have any dietary requirements. Food is sourced from local, small-scale producers and ingredients vary depending on seasonal availability. Some "tips and tricks for outdoor cooking" can be provided along with a suggested menu based on the ingredients provided. Cheese plates can also be purchased when visiting the local cheese-producer. Items included in the provisions packs will of course vary, but example contents are given below:
- Breakfast: eggs, Swedish "filmjölk" (sour milk) and muesli, local bread, local cheese and often also local meat for sandwiches, butter and marmalade, some fruit, coffee, tea and chocolate.
- Lunch: prepared soup and bread can be included (good if hiking) or ingredients for lunch such as pasta and mushrooms, smoked fish and stewed potatoes.
- Dinner: Ingredients for two-course dinner such as chopped meat with warm salad of local seasonal vegetables of the season followed by chocolate cream with strawberries/raspberries, or meat chop with mushrooms and fried potatoes with local vegetables followed by apple compote with cream.
- Transfer: For guests travelling by public transport, transfer is required from Höör train station.
- Private yurts with two or three beds (can be arranged as double or twin). Simpler camp beds can be added to accommodate up to 4 persons in one yurt. Bed linen and towels are provided.
- Yurts are lit by oil lamps and heated by oil-burning stove.
- End cleaning included.
- There is no running water or electricity. Oil lamps or small torches are provided for use around the camp at night. Drinking water is provided in containers, water for washing and cooking is fetched from the well.
- Dry outside toilet facilities.
- Each yurt has wash basin for washing. The nearby lakes (depending on season) also provide opportunity to bathe/wash during your stay.
- Fully-equipped, simple outdoor kitchen with cooking utensils, plates, cutlery, etc, for making food outdoors over open fire.
- Communal larger yurt with wood-burning stove for making food indoors or general social use.
- Firewood is provided (some ready-chopped with additional wood available to cut yourself if required)
- "Forest shower" - a simple shower using water from a bag. Water is heated either by the sun or the bag can be filled with water heated on the wood-burning stove.
- Access to fridge for storage of provisions during your stay.
Yurt interior, wood-burning stove in common yurt, cooking outdoors (photo: Erika Johansson) and washing up area.
- Travel: We do not arrange flights or domestic travel, but are happy to advise on suitable connections and assist you with any aspect of planning your journey. See under "Good to Know > Getting There" for general travel information.
- Getting There
- Combine This With
- Eco Info
Suitable for adults and children of all ages. You should be in general good health and enjoy outdoor living.
What makes this "Easy-Medium"?
There is great flexibility to make your stay as relaxing or active as you wish. The simple "bushcraft-style" nature of the accommodation and facilities gives a higher level of challenge compared to a fully-featured cabin experience. Activities you choose to do during your stay will of course also affect the level of challenge.
NB: Perception of difficulty is very subjective. What is hard to one person may be easy for another and vice versa, depending on factors including level of fitness, age and previous experience. Weather conditions/temperatures can also dramatically affect the actual level of challenge encountered.
For information on any equipment and/or clothing included as standard for this experience, please see under "Dates and Prices > Included".
A detailed recommended packing list for personal items to bring will be sent with your booking documentation.
NB: We advise you not to buy equipment or clothes for your trip or to incur other non-refundable expenses such as flights until you have received confirmation of your booking from us in writing. Note of course that the most appropriate clothing to use as well as the level of challenge experienced during any outdoor activity may vary significantly depending on factors such as the time of year and the particular weather/temperature conditions during your trip.
Detailed information on travel options to this experience will be provided in response to your enquiry. We are happy to advise on suitable connections and assist you with any aspect of planning your journey.
Please ensure that you make a booking with us first and wait for confirmation that your spaces are reserved before making any travel arrangements.
Fly to Copenhagen. Train to Höör (travel time around 50 mins) from where transfer (approx. 10km) to the camp is available as an optional extra.
Ferry Dover-Dunkirk or Newcastle-Amsterdam for onward connections to Höör.
Combine This With
This experience makes a good combination with the following:
- Canoe Getaway in Skåne (4 days, 1 hour by public transport)
The camp can accommodate up to 18 persons in 6 yurts. Guided activities for groups are also possible by arrangement. Please contact us to discuss your requirements.
This provider has a written environmental policy.
"Some lovely walks, and when it was warm enough, swimming in the lakes. We loved cooking outdoors, foraging for Chantarelle mushrooms (with good advice from Camilla!), and generally getting away from it all." Chris, August 2016
"All was well-organized and set up. It was great, thanks!!! We were looking for something different and away from the tourist trap. It was perfect for what we wanted." Elena, August 2016
"We had a great time in Sweden and we were certainly blessed by amazing weather." Ian, May 2016
"We had a real good time and our hosts were great and helpful. [The booking process] was simple and worked fine." James, March 2016